• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding, Biotoecus sp. Tapajos

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
I collected these many months back and have had 7 in one of my breeding tanks with no sign of them doing anything other than growing.

I cleaned the tank last night and noticed that a pair seemed to have formed and a couple of pits had been dug in the sand at the front of the tank beside the clay pot that they were taking an interest in. Looking again a few minutes later, among the debris now swirling round the tank I saw a few fry in the pit and the pair defending the territory.

I think I may have stumbled upon the spawning trigger, live daphnia daily (I currently have 3 poly boxes in the garden with daphnia cultures that provide a continous supply of daphnia for a good few tanks of dwarves!!).

Now there are 5 other adults in the tank with this pair, I'm hoping these others won't predate on the fry as there is no chance of removing the others from the tank.

But its moments like this that make it all worth while.

Todays pics:

B_sp_tapajos_male_002.jpg

B_sp_tapajos_female_002.jpg

B_sp_tapajos_fry_002-1.jpg

Male didn't want his picture taken!!

Andrew

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Congratulations. I had a group but just one left now. No obvious problems just one by one they disappeared. What are your water parameters?

Microman

5 Year Member
Nice one Andrew, No sign from my group as yet.
If the pH was as normal for your fish house then these obviously dont require the very low >4.5pH that B opercularis required for breeding purposes when we had them a couple of years ago.
They are certainly not as mature either....
Do you think that this species seems somewhat hardier than B.opercularis?

Ed... Andrews fish are from the same import as yours.
Mark...

oaken

5 Year Member
How does one differentiate Biotoecus-species? I have a group of 8 Biotoecus that I bought as B. opercularis, but they look pretty much identical to the fish in your pictures. So is it in fact B. sp. "Tapajos" that I have in my care? Other pictures that I have seen of B. sp. "Tapajos" have shown fish with a lot more red in them, like in the pictures shown in this thread: http://www.zbbf.de/forum/showthread.php?p=83123

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Biotoecus sp. Tapajós appears to be merely a population of B. opercularis that is found in the Rio Tapajós. Both appear to have the same body form & finnage; minor color differences are all that separate them. I could be wrong, of course, but someone will need to explain how the Tapajós form and the Negro form differ. Biotoecus dicentrarchus & B. sp. aff. opercularis Upper Rio Negro, however, have differences in body shape and finnage when compared to B. opercularis.

pleurothallid

5 Year Member
This is more of a general question related to Biotoecus, but this thread definitely helped fuel my interest in them, but is their metabolism really as fast as many people are saying, especially to rear them to maturity?

oaken

5 Year Member
Not intending to hijack the thread. But here is a picture of my biggest male:

biotoecushane2.jpg

B. opercularis, yes?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….