• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Borelli

newworldan06

5 Year Member
Any information on borelli from a breeder or just caretaker of borelli? Basic info(like food and water parameters)---Breeding info and any info inbetween.

Also after I am done breeding them will they be compatable with rams.

thanks greatly appreciated.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
- Borellii are one of the most peaceful apisto. I kept 7 adults (3m & 4f) in a 30 gallon long with no problem.
- They are good parents.
- They mature very young.
- The females turn bright yellow when spawning & caring for fry.
- They do well in harems. (1 time I had 3 females all spawn during the same week)
- neutral pH and medium soft water is fine for them
- mine take flake food & live food (I'm sure they will accept frozen)

They should do fine with the rams provided the tank is large enough and if the rams aren't aggressive. (at least 30 gal IMO)

I have no experience breeding rams. The Rams MAY require different water parms for spawning than the borellii. If you plan to spawn both in the same tank they will need to have compatable water parms and the tank will probably need to be even larger (perhaps at least 55 gal).

Michael

newworldan06

5 Year Member
No i do not plan to spawn the rams, I just think they are a cool fish to fit in with mine.

I plan to pick my Borelli out really soon, my tank is cycled. How do I tell the difference between a juvenile male and a juvenile female? I dont think the people at my LFS will know.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Sexing them is difficult some times. There are times when I can tell them apart, but later on I might look again and they'll all look the same. Both sexes look simular when they are in their neutral colors and at the same time, male borellii are good at disguising themselves as females. I still don't quite have the knack of it yet myself, but more experienced people can probably pick them out with no problem.

The easiest way to tell the females is when they are ready to spawn (they turn bright yellow) and a dominant male should be detectable at this time as well (his fin might be longer & you might detect some traces of blue in his color).

The best way would be to get 6 borellii and see what developes as they mature and settle in. You can always sell the extras back to the LFS later.

Michael

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….