• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Books Covering Dwarf Crenicichla

pikette

5 Year Member
There isn't much dedicated to the species.

Romer's Atlas has some info. There are quite a few papers out there you could hunt down and peruse.

One of the Cichlid Yearbooks have an article by the late Frank Warzel on Cr. regani. There are a few articles in Cichlid News, The Buntbarsch Bulletin of the ACA and a few papers scattered around.

On the net, pretty much everything is from Vinny Cutty's site; 'Mostly Cichlids'.

If anyone knows of any other information, please chime in.

Francine

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Undoubtedly the best book - with the most dwarf pike species discussed (16 species in the walacii-group alone!) - is Stawikowski & Werner's "Die Buntbarsche Amerikas Band 3: Erdfresser, Hecht- und Kammbunbarsche". It also discusses a number of other dwarf cichlid species: Crenicara (2), Dicrossus (5), Biotoecus (3), Mazarunia (2), & the Red Patwa.

pikette

5 Year Member
Undoubtedly the best book - with the most dwarf pike species discussed (16 species in the walacii-group alone!) - is Stawikowski & Werner's "Die Buntbarsche Amerikas Band 3: Erdfresser, Hecht- und Kammbunbarsche". It also discusses a number of other dwarf cichlid species: Crenicara (2), Dicrossus (5), Biotoecus (3), Mazarunia (2), & the Red Patwa.

Mike,
I'd like to buy that book and pay you for the translation of just the pike info. How about it?

Francine

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Rainer Stawikowski wants me to translate this book, too - 476 pages! The Crenicichla section alone is 160 pages long. Ulmer (the publisher of the book) now sells the book for about €25,00. This is half of its original price. On the other hand, the dollar is dropping against the Euro quite rapidly & printing a translation will cost almost 50% more than volume 2 (Apisto & Co.). All of this means that it would cost about $75 for me to provide the book & a printed translation. I don't think I could sell enough at this price to make the time & effort worthwhile, but I'll think about it.

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
Rainer Stawikowski wants me to translate this book, too - 476 pages! The Crenicichla section alone is 160 pages long. Ulmer (the publisher of the book) now sells the book for about €25,00. This is half of its original price. On the other hand, the dollar is dropping against the Euro quite rapidly & printing a translation will cost almost 50% more than volume 2 (Apisto & Co.). All of this means that it would cost about $75 for me to provide the book & a printed translation. I don't think I could sell enough at this price to make the time & effort worthwhile, but I'll think about it.

If you eventually decide to do it (which I hope you do :wink:...), please count me in. A 75$ for this kind of set is indisputably an adequate price! :) ...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I see a troubling trend here. First volume 2 (apistos & rams), then vol.3 (most of the rest of the South American cichlids). What next? Vol. 1 with all of the Central Americans & South American cichlasomine (including Laetacara & Nannacara) & heroine cichlids??

Speaking of translations, I just received another shipment of Koslowski's book, so I can sell it with the English translation &/or the DATZ book if anyone is interested.

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
I see a troubling trend here. First volume 2 (apistos & rams), then vol.3 (most of the rest of the South American cichlids). What next? Vol. 1 with all of the Central Americans & South American cichlasomine (including Laetacara & Nannacara) & heroine cichlids??

Speaking of translations, I just received another shipment of Koslowski's book, so I can sell it with the English translation &/or the DATZ book if anyone is interested.

Well Mike, your last one has leave a taste for more, what can I say :wink: ...

pikette

5 Year Member

Okay,
How much for Rainer Stawikowski's, Koslowski's and the DATZ?

Francine

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
How much for Rainer Stawikowski's, Koslowski's and the DATZ?
I don't have copies of Stawikowski & Werner's Volume 3 (or Volume 1 for that matter). So far I am only selling copies of Volume 2 (Koslowski) + English translation, and the DATZ book. I'm selling all 3 for $80 + postage for now. Once they are gone, the cost will probably rise due to the increased value of the € over the $. I haven't purchased either of the other volumes because I don't have translations for them. If anyone is interested in buying these, I can help them through to ordering process.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….