• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

bolivian rams

dwarf_puffer

5 Year Member
i think i have figured it out! i notice a big extentin on the dorsal fisn pf 1 of the rams(male) the other 1 has less colouring and dosent have a very long extention(2mm) is that meen its a girl?

mooman

5 Year Member
I don't think the doralsal extension is reliable indicator for bolivians. I think you need to look at several factors holistically. Fin size, overall color, extension of tail fin (longer and more pointed in males), anal fin (more rounded in females), and pectoral fins (longer and more pronounced in males). I have seen males with some female traites and vice versa in pet store tanks. Someone correct me it I'm wrong.

Behavior is the last and for me the most telling. I can always pick a definate male and female out at the store based on whos holding territory, and whos tollerated in that territory. When you only have a few or worse one I find it very dificult to tell.

dwarf_puffer

5 Year Member
mooman said:
I don't think the doralsal extension is reliable indicator for bolivians. I think you need to look at several factors holistically. Fin size, overall color, extension of tail fin (longer and more pointed in males), anal fin (more rounded in females), and pectoral fins (longer and more pronounced in males). I have seen males with some female traites and vice versa in pet store tanks. Someone correct me it I'm wrong.

Behavior is the last and for me the most telling. I can always pick a definate male and female out at the store based on whos holding territory, and whos tollerated in that territory. When you only have a few or worse one I find it very dificult to tell.
whould u like to see some pictures?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….