• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

blue eunotus, red hongsloi females

Csababá

5 Year Member
I read that there are/were forms of A. eunotus females that wear blue breeding dress like hongsloi females with red. Have you ever seen such specimens? Or better, dou you have pictures?

Csababá

5 Year Member
Thank you.
According to my source of information the red hongsloi female strain was 'property' of the Berliner Zoo (DDR) in the late '70s while the blue (Ap. aff.) eunotus belonged to Koslowski (early '80s).
Can anybody confirm that?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that your source is a bit confused. The A. hongsloi from the late 70s was called A. sp. Rotstrich/Red-streak. The species wasn't even scientifically named until 1979. The females were not red. The blue female A. eunotus probably was the fish shown in a DATZ magazine for an "April Fools" article. It was 'photoshopped' to blue & black, to mimic the football (soccer) shirt color of one of the German teams (Koslowski's home team). I suggest that you ask to see the fish or at least photos.

Tom C

5 Year Member
Red females

In Cichlid Atlas 1, Page 486 (A. hongsloi), Römer writes:

“The Colombian strain imported in 1984 underwent a mutation around 1988 – females become red (!) during brood care (Römer unpubl.).
KORMANN and the Berlin-Friedrichsfelde Zoo sent offspring of one of these females to breeders in the former East Germany, where they were propagated. Nowadays, various breeders in Germany offer descendents of this attractive mutation.
â€

I don't know if this is one of those females, but she is reddish….

blueblue

5 Year Member
In the past, I kept super red hongsloi (III) from Germany and some females would appear
"orange red" during brood care. However, to me, it's just the "coloring"
effect... the species remains the same...

In Cichlid Atlas 1, Page 486 (A. hongsloi), Römer writes:

“The Colombian strain imported in 1984 underwent a mutation around 1988 – females become red (!) during brood care (Römer unpubl.).
KORMANN and the Berlin-Friedrichsfelde Zoo sent offspring of one of these females to breeders in the former East Germany, where they were propagated. Nowadays, various breeders in Germany offer descendents of this attractive mutation.
â€

I don't know if this is one of those females, but she is reddish….

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….