• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

black faced then death

Sharpfish

5 Year Member
Does anyone know what causes fish to catch this disease? The fish in question here is an A. hongsloi. Half of the fish's face turned black, the rest the fish lost most of its other colorations. It began swimming in circles or death rolls and subsequently died the following day. Is there an explanation I have seen the a few times over the years in Apistos and even jewel cichlids. The pictures aren't clear as I would like, but the fish was spinning a not really in the mood to co-operate.

blackface002.jpg

blackface004.jpg

blackface001.jpg

blackface010.jpg

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
I've seen it, too

I've seen it before, too. Always fatal. I was told the "black face" (which in the cases I've seen was always unilateral) was a symptom of some kind of severe stress (stroke?). I've noticed it only in South American Dwarfs. Did not seem to be contagious.
Steve

viejo

5 Year Member
It seems to be a manifestation of one or more internal problems ( systemic shock?) & as Steve states, apparently not contagious... I don't believe that have seen it in non-new world cichlids or other fish families.. It seems to be especially common in geophagus types & their relatives. I have never seen a fish recover from it my recollection. I don't recall seeing it in hemichromis & I have bred a LOT of those over the years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….