• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black Beard Algae

Jonathan Aquair

5 Year Member
Hey everyone,

A while back I started a new 65 gal. "Nature aquarium". Started off by growing out the plants emersed (to avoid snails, algae, and other nasties). All was going well, until the algae appeared. First it was the Hydrocotyle, so I blacked out the entire room. I came back a week later to find it had spread to almost every plant I had and even my CO2 system. My shrimp don't look at it nor do my Otos or shrimp. So how can I get it to die off? Preferably through natural means (i.e. algae eaters, etc.), but I'm open to anything. Taking down the tank would be a pain, but replacing the plants isn't a prob. (still have the emersed forms).

Lighting: four 6,400 t5s (two on from ~6:30am-7:30pm ; other two ~8am-5pm)
Substrate: Lava rocks, then sand, the aquasoil Amazonia, then sand.
Dosing: ADA Green Bacter, Green Brighty step 1 & Brighty K (both stoped when I saw algae)
Filter: Fluval 306
Animals: a guppy, ~20 Neocaridina heteropoda (wild & rilli)(about to breed), a few invasive snails, otocinclus affinis (~14), and well over 200 malaysian trumpet snails.

You can spit treat it with excel, it will turn reddish pink then grey and then disappear. Try removing what you can and then do a water change to where your plants are exposed so you can spot treat it. Then refill the tank and watch over the next couple if days how it changes. You might have to repeat this a couple times but I rid my 75 this way

regani

5 Year Member
You could also try to reduce the duration of the lighting period, 13 hours is quite long, most higher tech setups would run around 8 hours or so.
You may also need to check your macro nutrient levels and possibly trace elements. Stopping to fertilise is not always a good option as that can also promote algae growth over plant growth.
If you can get a good picture of the algae someone may be able to identify what it is, which could help in deciding what to do.

Ttw

5 Year Member
I have had good luck with true Siamese Algae Eaters when they are young. They clean up the black beard algae very well. However as they get older, they don't like the algae as well as other food.

Jonathan Aquair

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone,

I went for overdosing Excel, and so far so good. Most of the algae has retreated or been eaten by the shrimp and their new babies.

Thanks for the help
Jonathan

Dano1311

Thanks everyone,

I went for overdosing Excel, and so far so good. Most of the algae has retreated or been eaten by the shrimp and their new babies.

Thanks for the help
Jonathan
this is the way i went i had it appear all over my wood, i dosed up with a neat carbon based fertilizer applied directly onto the wood (out of the water if you can) with a toothbrush and it turned pink and died it returned a few times but repeated it and touch wood upto now its under control and gone, i do used many different 'algae' eaters with no success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….