• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Biotope

brad

5 Year Member
I`d like to make a biotope around my Cacatuaoides. I was wondering if you guys see any problems with the tankmates I`ve chosen and if you could suggest any alternatives. I`m having an especially hard time with plants. here`s what I`d like:
29 gallon long
3 apisto Cacatuoides
3 Julii cories
2 angelfish
6 marble hatchets

As far as plants go, all I`ve really been able to find is cobomba (which slowly died in my other tank) broad leaf sword, and hydrocotyle.
So, whatcha think?

cdawson

5 Year Member
a 29 gallon is a little on the small side for both a harem of cactuoides and two angelfish or angelfish at all. Two angelfish would need at least a 55 gallon. I would go with everything else but the angelfish.

brad

5 Year Member
I would have thaught the cories would pose more of a problem than the angels, seeing that they occupy the same space. So what about plants? there doesn`t seem to be alot of selection outside the echinodorus family.

cdawson

5 Year Member
I've got that setup in a 135 gallon, and even in that large of a tank I catch my apistos going for the ventrals and bottom dorsals of my angels every now and then.

As for plants, you can try for some stargrass, hairgrass, anacharis, fanwort, jungle vals, and there are several other plants as well. Of course for the most part if you want a true biotope for the area little to no plants would be ideal. Really in actuality the echinodorus family would mostly only be present with these species during the flooded months of the rain season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….