• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Biotope set-ups

Simon Morgan

5 Year Member
Having seen Willem Heijns talk on his Biotope tanks at the recent EACG meeting I was inspired to attempt something similar of my own and following a bit of buying and selling at a couple of auctions and a big change around in my tanks I now have four vaguely themed tanks based on a specific habitat in a particular region. (Apologies, the images are not perfect, just to give an impression). I haven't gone to the extent of keeping fish and plants from the exact locations but just a general area and similar habitat.

"South American River Bank" 48x18x12

100_3947.jpg

Angelfish, Aequidens tetramerus "Ecuador Red", Apistogramma macmasteri.
Lemon, Beacon and Splashing tetras.
Corydoras spp

Decor of sand and plants on wood.

"South American Forest Pool" 24x15x12

100_3950.jpg

Ap. barlowi, Pencilfish and Green Neons

Decor of sand, wood and leaf litter.

"West African River" (Loosely based on the Congo) 48x15x12

100_3948.jpg

T. joka, S. casuarius, N. parilus, P. humilis
African Long-finned and Red-Eye Tetra
Synodontis flavitaeniatus (Pyjama Cat)

Decor of sand, large pebbles, Anubias on wood.

"West African Forest Stream" 32x16x12 (Juwel 96l)

100_3951.jpg

P. subocellatus "Matadi", N. transvestitus, Killiefish

Decor of sand and plants on wood.

Simon Morgan

5 Year Member
Thanks Bilbo,

I need a few more fish in the Large SA tank and the Small West African tank.
I may add more Angels and splashing tetras to the former but I'm looking for suggestions for the small West African set-up. I may have sourced some Neolebias, but need ideas for mid-water shoaling fish, any suggestions?

ste12000

5 Year Member
Thanks Bilbo,

I need a few more fish in the Large SA tank and the Small West African tank.
I may add more Angels and splashing tetras to the former but I'm looking for suggestions for the small West African set-up. I may have sourced some Neolebias, but need ideas for mid-water shoaling fish, any suggestions?

Nice tanks Simon..ive already got my local shop to order splash tetras next time they do a Peru order, ill let you know when i have them. Great fish and very interesting, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9yvCHh5m84

Im not well up on west African fish other than the dwarf cichlids!!! i do like the Alestopetersius caudalis which occasionally turn up in the shops..These would be my choice.

Simon Morgan

5 Year Member
Thanks Ste, I remember seeing your video before, I think I have two females, so no luck for me.
Alestopetersius caudalis, is that the Yellow-tailed Congo? I really like them, I've had them before, they should do the job if I can find them!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….