• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Biofilter -yes or not?

Kemview

5 Year Member
Hi all! I have a question.
Is the biofilter efficacious in soft,acidic water? Maybe chemical filtration would be better in such conditions?
What do you think at this matter?:)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
All my tanks use biological filters (sponge filters) + frequent water changes. It has the advantage of no expenses after you buy the filter. In breeding tanks the fry find food on the sponges & you don't risk losing fry in the intake tubes of power filters.

Kemview

5 Year Member
I have met with information,that "in soft,acidic water the biofilter is much less effective,especially in extremely low pH;the useful (nitrifying)bacteria cannot thrive,and biological filtration is no longer a viable option.So it has to be compensated for with more chemical filtration and increased water changed" - by David Boruchowitz.
What do you think about it?:)

Bev N

Apisto Club
5 Year Member
Biofilter -yes or not? Reply to Thread

I'm with Mike on this one. I too have nothing but sponge filters in my 40 or so tanks that I have set up thus far. I have a water treatment system that provides me with very soft, very low ph water. It comes from the tap at a ph of about 5.5. With water changes and cleaning the sponges I haven't had the need for anything else. This is even in tanks with the parents and 50 fry with feeding 3 times a day.

I would have never thought that sponge filters could be so effective and am thrilled with how inexpensive they are but how easy they are to maintain.

Bev

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
David Boruchowitz bases his observation on a scientific paper (I have it somewhere) that reports that Nitrosomonis & Nitrobacter bacteria are sensitive to low pH and shut down at around pH 5.5. This is correct. What the researchers didn't think to study is that there are bacteria that take over nitrogen conversion & prefer more acidic environments. This is what happens in acid water tanks. If there is food to consume "Nature finds a way".

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
David Boruchowitz bases his observation on a scientific paper (I have it somewhere) that reports that Nitrosomonis & Nitrobacter bacteria are sensitive to low pH and shut down at around pH 5.5. This is correct. What the researchers didn't think to study is that there are bacteria that take over nitrogen conversion & prefer more acidic environments. This is what happens in acid water tanks. If there is food to consume "Nature finds a way".

Mike I have always maintained this view but have often been told I was wrong about this (but never believed I was! :wink: ) and Nitrification doesn't happen in tanks below pH 6. However I have struggled to find any papers/other evidence for it. Do you have any actual research done on Nitrification in acidic environments?

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
In addition to this, earlier researches have already determined a decade ago that the common assumption related to the presence of Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter in freshwater aquaria is erroneous, and that the dominent bacteria in these systems filtration is actually Nitrospira and Nitrosospira.
This have been discovered by series of researches made by Hovanec and Delong from the University of California.
If you like I can find some links to the related articles...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(