• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Betta M.

blueblue

5 Year Member
New purchase:
A pair of wildcaught Betta M (forget about the spelling)
- A pretty precious species and it's the first time i kept it :)

red_dog1_371_575.jpg

red_dog2_671_204.jpg

peterK

5 Year Member
Hi bb

That's Betta macrostoma!:) Pay attention: I've read that they can get to 11cm and they are aggressive. They need as roomy as possible tank. Minimum 100 cm long. I think that many Asian aquarists keep them in smaller aquaria, but IMO you should place them in bigger than 20-Liter tank:) Do you know that they live in Nature in only three places in Brunei? And, unfortunately, they are on the IUCN Red List as vulnerable:frown:

By the way, beautiful fish especially when are adult.

Piotr>>>

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks Beleg and Piotr :)

To Piotr: Thanks for the remarks. Yes, this fish is quite rare and expensive. I am keeping a pair in a pretty big tank and they had spawned... unfortunately, the eggs were eaten after 1 day of mouthbrooding...
will keep on trying :)

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have a pair. you can see images and read about them here:

www.tedsfishroom.com/macrostoma.html

Mine are not aggressive with each other at all. I keep them in a 20H with soft, acid water and very subdued light. They love worms of any kind. They spawn regularly, but the male has not successfully held yet. I have spken with experienced breeders (the ones with lot of fry) and they tell me that is is not uncommon for a male to take years to get it right and hold for the duration, and that the 'breed them while they are small' advice is a total myth.

peterK

5 Year Member
Wow gorgeous pair Ted!:wink:

I'm gonig to buy my first (!) RO filter. After that I will sell my old 175Liter Aquarium and build shelf for smaller, 2x90 & 4x45 L aquariums for Apistos. But, apart from that, I have small shelf, and on that shelf I'll put 2 tanks 20 Liter each, for... Parosphromenus:biggrin:
I love them! See this: http://igl-home.de/bilder/gallery/parosphromenus/index.htm

Piotr>>>

Milk

5 Year Member
Thanks Beleg and Piotr :)

To Piotr: Thanks for the remarks. Yes, this fish is quite rare and expensive. I am keeping a pair in a pretty big tank and they had spawned... unfortunately, the eggs were eaten after 1 day of mouthbrooding...
will keep on trying

Hey BlueBlue;

Betta macrostama is actually readily available in Singapore...And a few of local hobbyist have managed to spawn and breed them...I personally have tried 2 pair and i have lost them recently..:frown:But no worries...I will get them again and try breeding them.. And it's rather interesting to keep them...It's totally opposite from our all time flavourite Apistogramma cose they are mouth brooder and the Male Take care of the eggs and fries...Interesting har!! Another Wild Betta species to take note is Betta palifina..also equally interesting and rare..But again..rather easily available in Sin :biggrin: :biggrin:

P.s: For breeding wild Betta species,most of the local hobbyist mentioned that they keeps the temperture,Ph low and the water are soft..And definately a big space is required...

Regards
Milk

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks all. Actually, there are a lot of successful stories of breeding this species in Asia (we can get it a bit easier than the rest of the world), including Hong Kong. I managed to get it spawned just three days when the pair arrived while as many of you could predict, the male fish ate the eggs afterwards... and it's quite natural as the environment might not be secure enough for the pair.. i have already moved the pair to a tank in a darker place, turned on the UV sterilizer and i expect to get some babies in a few months; this species is less challenging compared to L46 and adoketa... :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….