• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

balloon ram's fry problem!

harnsheng

5 Year Member
recently i've artificially hatch a large batch of balloon ram's eggs...however,i have some worries bout the frys! about 60% of the frys seems to stay on tops of the tanks-on the surface! i wonder y this is happening...the ph is around 6.0 to 6.5! i try to make them swims down but then...it came back up again..almost all accumulating one one corner!! it doesnt seems be breathing heavily like those fish in lack-oxygen water...it just 'up'!! Y? Y?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
One problem with breeding severly inbred fish is that inherited health problems are maginied each generation. I suspect that the ballon ram fry you are raising have swim bladder problems.

You should try the normal rams... they are quite beautiful.

harnsheng

5 Year Member
ohh man...that was the last thing i expected!! hmm......i hope not!!!!! let them for few more days n i'll c later whether they can swim properly or not!! hehehehehe!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with Ted. Baloon-shaped fish have a deformed body in which the swim bladder often cannot keep the fish in a normal position. Sometimes it is so severe that the fish cannot swim & slowly die of malnutrition. Others (very common in fancy goldfish) will produce gas in their intestinal tract that counteracts to normal buyancy of the swim bladder. After a heavy meal the fish will float upsidedown on the surface of the water.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….