• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bad sex ratio

jmtrops

5 Year Member
In the last three years I have purchased the following groups of West African fry, Pelvicachromis humilus, P. signatus, P. sp. blue fin, and two types of P. taeniatus and Parananochromis caudofasciatus. Each group was 6 or more and they were from several different people but with each they ended up as one sex, some were all male and some were all female. I know each of these people didn't intend on this but it still sucks when it hapens.

I know there are many reasones to sell them before they are sexable but I am asking everyone to wait until they are sexable before you sell them when ever posible. in many cases waiting just 2 months solves this problem. The last group of taeniatus I got was supose to be pairs but the ones that were the females were imature males, not properly sexed, that were 1" and half the size of the males but don't have the markings of the females.

Jim

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yep... I am one of the people Jim got fry of all one sex from. I try not to sell fry anymore. One of the reasons I have sold fry is that it is a lot less expensive to ship small fish. I can also charge less for young fry (less tank space, less resources to raise them, etc..) I would usually sell 6 fry for $20 - $25, but they are unsexable. Once they are only enough to sex I have had them a lot longer so they cost more, plus the shipping will be 2x - 3x as much to account for weight. What have I discovered sellig sexable juveniles versus fry? More than a few people want to know why my prices are higher! Sometimes you can't win....:rolleyes:

exotic_idiot

5 Year Member
That's the price you have to paid for...
Quality products = Higher price...
But truely in my point of view... If you happen to buy a so-call pair but turns out both males or females... Frankly you're not the only victims:wink:
I too have the same problem...
If buying unsexable species is advisable to get a group of 6 maybe there's a chance of hitting a pair or so..

jmtrops

5 Year Member
My purpose in starting this thead is not to call people out but to try to work around the problem. I feel bad that every time I post about this Ted stands up and claims some responability and that is not what I am looking to do. I don't think people are trying to screw anyone but we don't have a good handle as to why it hapens. So with fish we know there is this problem I think we should step up and grow them up a little longer so we can accuratly sex them. Most of these are easily sexed at a young age. I do understand that tank space can be an issue but sometimes these fish have only been available as tank raised from 1 person so we sometimes need to do what is right for the fish. If we only get 1 or 2 pairs from a spawn we need to make sure the pairs end up with a breeder and we are keeping data that might help us find out how to prevent the bad ratios.

Jim

oldschool

5 Year Member
I am in the same boat I recently purchased 2 prs of A.hongsloi Super Rostrich and what i received were 4 unsexed fish 1"-1.5" in size. With fish that are difficult to sex at young ages people need to wait until they are 100% sure of the sex of the fish before they sell them as prs.

exotic_idiot

5 Year Member
Hi jim and oldschool, It always happen and we can't really change, expect to gamble with our luck. I encounter lots of bad sex ratio here which makes me harder to continue if it keeps on going.. But it's better to buy from breeder than retail fish shops as you can double confirm your orders first before placing an order.
Sometimes retail fish stores can't even determine which are the male or female? As why i suggest get from breeder as they truely can see the different in terms of sexes, colour and finages.:wink:

oldschool

5 Year Member
yes it is best to get them from a breeder but its still hurts when you pay $35pr and get unsexed fish. I really do prefer the Czech and German bred fish they come in sexable and yet still at a young age.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….