• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bad news. What to do with fry?

DigitalBoy

5 Year Member
I still keep getting problems with my 25 gallon tank - it seems that there's some sort of infection or something. If anyone has any guesses, please let me know.
3 days ago I moved female apsto cacatuoides to my small eclipse 6 system, she was fine and fry hatched, however yesterday I was shocked to find that the female had developed a pop eye. I thought for awhile and decided to kill her. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Now baby fry is left alone. What should I do???? Will they be able to survive by themselves, or should they be disposed, because mother's disease might've gotten to them?
ANYONE??? Please.

Neil

Do not dispose of the babies. Change the water and feed them well. They probably are OK. As a matter of fact, I would have probably left the female with them. Their drive to protect the babies can be amazing, even with bacterial or fungal infections. I would make sure that the water quality is good. Are the babies still wigglers? If so, make sure that you get food to them as soon as they are free swimming. I wouldn't tell you to do this, but I have actually put the male back into the tank with the babies, when I have had problems with the female. But that is risky. You can raise them yourself if you get them food soon and often after they swim. And, again, don't let your water quality decline.
Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….