• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Face?

B

BrianBerg

Hi all- At my LFS today they had a new tank of apistos marked "baby face." They could not tell me the latin name and evidently, the breeder doesn't know either! In the past the discussion went they were either carapintada or winkelfleck. Does anyone know for sure? Brian

blueblue

5 Year Member
BrianBerg said:
Hi all- At my LFS today they had a new tank of apistos marked "baby face." They could not tell me the latin name and evidently, the breeder doesn't know either! In the past the discussion went they were either carapintada or winkelfleck. Does anyone know for sure? Brian

Hi Brian, I remember i read this name somewhere;
it belongs to the Regani Group, and is similar to the "red-face"
(= Masken = Carapintada)... anyhow, I think Mike can give you more
advice, let's wait for him :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I first heard of this name in 2004. I have not seen photos of this fish, but I bet that it is just a name for a previously know fish. Is there any way we can see photos of Baby Face?

B

BrianBerg

Hi Mike- The fish in the store look very much like Agassizi, though I haven't seen a lot of the newwer species. And no I don't have a digital camera, yet. Brian

Chris(wildcaught!)

5 Year Member
I know of a picture of the sp. babyface. Unfortunately i can't link directly to the picture, but for those of you that want to see it among other Apistos with some other unusual names.

Follow this direction:
Open up www.aleds.se
Click on - Butik - Fiskar - Fiskar- choose Dvärgciklider in scroll menu.

Some species have pictures these are marked with an B on the side.

Personally i believe that babyface is A. eunotus "Orange-Schwanz"

Regards / Chris

blueblue

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
Chris,

Thank you for finding the Baby Face photo. I agree with you. I does look like A. cf. eunotus (Orangeschwanz/Orange-tail).

Thanks Chris and Mike;
yes, the one in the picture is cf. Eunotus, which is usually mixed with
wildcaught Pebas/Algodon in the imports. I alos got one which was purchased under the name as "Algodon!" ... But i remember i read another
photo of Baby-Face in other places, and that Baby-Face has a red mask
which looks like "sp. Masken" (so i think it's why the name is called "baby face"...)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….