• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Assassin snail and cherry shrimp for tank mates?

tajaba

Hey guys, I recently got some a. Trifasciata in a 20 gallon (up from the old 6 which mike said was way too small). Now I'm looking for some tank mates but I also kind of want the fish to not feel too crowded. I am thinking of getting some cherry shrimps and assassin snail since they will also do a good job of maintaining the tank and especially the snail population ( in the assassin snail's case)

Have anyone ever tried this? Will the shrimps just get harassed to death? Thoughts?

Panta rhei

Hi,
I have a Trifasciata couple ( http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/i...pistrogramma-trifasciata-wild-with-fry.13638/ ) in a tank with red cherries, if you provide enough hiding places your population will even grow!
For the snails, based on my experience their number is "automatically" adjusted by the food quantity, and they make a great job in keeping the tank clean from uneaten food.
Imho introducing an Anentome Helena (the "assassin" snail) could disturb this balance.

tajaba

I see, but I just really hate them snails, most of them actually came with the multitude of plants I have on the tank

I will definitly see about the shrimps thanks!

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I have had A. trifasciata frequently spawn in fairly open areas like the exterior of a small clay flower pot. Note my avatar photo is an A. trifasciata male.
I have had females as small as 1/2 inch breed successfully. The number of eggs were only about 18 and about 12 fry survived. The numbers went up as the fish grew older and larger.
I have had mixed success keeping and breeding Apistogramma spp with Cherry Shrimp present.
Some times I don't see any difference between with and without shrimp but the same can be said of any series of spawns without any shrimp being present.

tajaba

Apistomaster: breeding doesn't really matter much to me, although I'd like to see them breed just to see it, I don't really have enough room to raise the fry so it doesn't matter if they don't survive. My fish doesn't seem much interested though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….