• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

aquarium setup for Apistogramma

lycan92

hello people

well I'm trying to create apistos, but so as a hobby without having to worry about their kids, since I have no structure to raise their offspring properly, then the couples wanted only to observe, so that the space I have not and very great, and I wanted at least a 6 species

I was wondering what steps could use to keep couples without problems, I had thought of using aquariums 45x40x25(h)cm , so I'm worried about when the female spawn, told me that they beat up the male

then wanted to know if vcs these measures are good for keeping the bed without problems, even when the female spawn? there is some outside mitigate the damage done to man?

and the filtering, I use those foam filters connected to an air pump?

Thank you from now, Hugs!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The size that you have should be OK for many of the different apisto species - IF the aqua-scape has many hiding places. The problem is that the aquariums are too small to grow out the fry to larger size. Another option: Have several small aquariums available in which to keep males when the females have fry. I suggest that you keep fewer species with the same number of tanks.

lycan92

thanks for your help friend

on the size of tanks really can be that it is tight when the females spawn, if using an aquarium to separate the males, which measures could be used?

and if the case does not need to separate the male which appropriate measure? could be 60x30x30? overlooking the male stay together until the female spawns when? would like to have 5 aquariums ums least ........ was so good if I do not need to separate the male

and even increasing the aquarium, the filter could remain with the foam filters? and because the foam filters, I could connect 2 filters in the same pump, then I would save energy, being able to leave plenty of plants

so one more thing, the height of the tank, can be small? type a 20cm? would like to increase the depth

Hugs!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
thanks for your help friend

on the size of tanks really can be that it is tight when the females spawn, if using an aquarium to separate the males, which measures could be used?

It is best if each female can control a 30x30cm territory. The male may need a place outside of this territory. It really depends on the species and the individuals - and how the tank is aquascaped.

and if the case does not need to separate the male which appropriate measure? could be 60x30x30?
For most species, yes.

overlooking the male stay together until the female spawns when? would like to have 5 aquariums ums least ........ was so good if I do not need to separate the male
Most apisto males can live with a female with fry in a 60x30x30cm. It really depends on the species and the individuals - and how the tank is aquascaped. Once the fry grow to 1cm, the fry will need a larger aquarium to grow larger. Females often kill the fry if they breed again. In the wild the female can drive the older fry away, but not in a small aquarium.

and even increasing the aquarium, the filter could remain with the foam filters? and because the foam filters, I could connect 2 filters in the same pump, then I would save energy, being able to leave plenty of plants
I use only foam filters. They are very efficient for all tank sizes.

so one more thing, the height of the tank, can be small? type a 20cm? would like to increase the depth
Yes, 20cm is good. Apistos rarely use more than the bottom 15cm of their aquarium height.

Thanks! I enjoy hugs. Hugs are always good!:wink:

lycan92

hello friend

these days face a daunting when I saw that there were no puppies in the aquarium, and even more so when I saw the male attacking the female and preseguindo tirelessly for a moment the aquarium seemed to be small for the bed, and this normal? aqua and one of 60x30x30, I was really worried, and the kind gibbiceps, they are aggressive they?

ja the aqua can be low, so if I could put a tank of 48x45x18 (h)? this ski would be better than one of 60x30x30? as the internal area and seized by apistos?

Deois to witness the aggressiveness of male to female, I was very discouraged, and did not know if you can always keep the male with the female, what do you think?

which 5 species quieter?

hugs (I also love hugs, makes us feel good)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The males of many polygamous species (like A. gibbiceps) are aggressive when only 1 female is available. If the female is not ready to breed, the male will try to drive her from his territory (the entire aquarium, if it is small) This is why you need to provide many hiding places. A. gibbiceps is a species that is relatively difficult to reproduce. It requires very soft and acid water. The fish will spawn, but if the water is too hard and alkaline, the eggs will not hatch. I suggest that you start with some of the following species:
A. cacatuoides, A. borellii, A. caetei, A. sp. Wangenflecken, A. sp. Rotpunkt.

lycan92

Hello friend thank you for the tip

thought the gibbiceps was quiet, but it seems not

these species would you suggest, are quietly, even outside the breeding season?

The trifasciata are a good too?

what measures you recommend? must have a maximum 45l

Hugs!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….