• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos, Rams, and Cory cats

ap700

I have a 36 gallon bow front that currently has 3 Aeneus corys and 1 Bolivian Ram male who's mate died a few months ago. I've been browsing aquabid and really like the Apistogramma panduro, but I would also like to have a breeding pair of Bolivian Rams again. In my size tank, is a pair of panduro's and a pair of Rams possible along with the Cory cats? Or would that be too much? Thanks!

ap700

Anybody know if this could work? I'd though I'd try the Panduro because I've read that they form pairs instead of harems like Cacatuoides and others, so I'd though I'd go with those due to limited space with the 36 gallon and all. This would my first shot at Panduro, I've only ket cac. And borellii as of now. The water has a slight tannin stain and has leaf litter and sand substrate.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This type of question has been asked many many times here. IMHO your tank is too small for 4 dwarf cichlids. Also understand that a male A. panduro will not bond with just any female and visa versa. I suggest you do a search on mixing apistos with rams and pair bonds of nijsseni-group species on the forum.

ap700

Thanks, I have heard about how choosy panduro and nijsenni can be when choosing mates, so I planned on buying 1 male and 3-4 females and letting them sort it out and then selling off the rest. I have a 20H sitting by with some Cardinal tetras in there just in case I get the fish and there is an aggression issue between them and the Rams.

Bones

As a Wise man once told me, " A community tank is not a breeding tank." If you want a breeding par of Bolivian Rams and/or Apistogramma panduro, in my humble opinion may I suggest putting the Rams and the Apistos in separate tanks. Putting 2 different pairs of dwarf cichlids together in a small tank could work with a school of dither fish such as Nannostomus mortenthaleri or Nannostomus rubrocaudatus. But if you have any interest in either of the dwarf cichlids spawn, having carnivorous hunters such as the omnivorous Corydoras aeneus, the Paracheirodon axelrodi or the opposing dwarf cichlids near your precious spawn is a certain risk. Can the Cory behave and leave the spawn alone? .maybe. Will the parents fend off attackers? .maybe. But when the lights go out and the fry strays, snipers in the dark will end all doubt. The great thing about Bolivian Rams, Apistogramma panduro and many other dwarf cichlids is they play well with others, well some others and only until they spawn. Once they are spawning they will need their space. Dwarf cichlids are good community tank fish. But if you want your spawn to turn into juvenile dwarfs you must ensure them the best environment they can have. Some keepers keep Otocinclus for algae and Pencils for dither but most keep the tank mates down to a minimum. If you're keeping 3-4 females in one tank, have at least one hide out area for each female. Caves are good and lots of leaves. Natural barriers to block line of sight to each female territory. They are from blackwater in Peru so acidic, tannin water is best with a sand substrate like you have. Put the Rams in the 20 and have the A. panduro in the 36. 86 the Corys and Cardinals if you want fry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….