• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos & Angels: a good mix?

J

jjmcbass

Hey everyone,

I'm upgrading to a bigger tank (about 200 litres, currently 80 litres).
Current population:
- 1 pair a. nijsseni
- 6 cory cats
- 1 pleco
- 15 red rasbora

I'm planning on putting in some more dwarfs (haven't made my mind up yet... any tips? maybe agassizii) but my girlfriend really wants to add some angels.
Would that be ok?

Grts, JJ.

Neil

jjmcbass,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

As long as the apistos are not small enough to fit in the mouth of a larger angel, it should be OK. Like discus, angels usually occupy a different section of water than apistos. Angels are in the middle and apistos are usually on the ground. Angels can become quite alot larger than apistos and are cichlids. So they can cause problems. But IME they co-exist fairly well together. Tough or breeding apistos can even make an angels life un pleasant.
If you decide on other Dwarfs as tankmates, refer to the search on the menu of this forum for alot of other experience with various other combinations. Good luck,
Neil

ddaquaria

5 Year Member
I agree with Neil. Also make sure you have caves or some cavelike places in teh tank if thaey are cave brooders. I like to make my tanks natural with the use of wood and plants.

J

jjmcbass

Thanks guys,

I was actually more concerned about the angels. My male nijsseni can be pretty feisty sometimes, especially during feeding.

But my girlfriend will be glad to hear about the angels.

Another question: which species should I add first: the angels or the new apistos? Keep in mind I'm also planning on putting in some more dither fish (maybe neons) and there is of course the current population which also has to move to the new tank.

Grts, JJ.

J

jafo

Don't think I use Neons as Angels feed on them in the wild.

Eva32181

5 Year Member
If they are big neons and small angels, it could work. Until the angels get large . . .

I love the smaller tetras because they make a tank look larger, and you can get a scholl of 20 of them going in a decent size tank. Try glow-lights or cardinals if you want smaller tetras, or diamonds, flames, or lemons if you want to go a little bigger. Those are my favorites.

One day, I want to have a discus tank with a giant school of diamond tetras in it. They are so pretty (but can get as large as a Ram).

Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….