• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma vendors in southern CA

M0oN

5 Year Member
I'm having a heck of a time finding somone who carries apistogramma species in my area, I'm in Orange County, just outside of Los Angeles and everyone I've spoken to says they haven't seen apisto's for sale out here in years.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Neil

M0oN,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

There seems to be a suprising lack of Dwarf Cichlids offered in LFSs in So. Cal. I am sure that there are some, but I would think that there would be alot, given that Dolphin is located in LA and imports a majority of SA Dwarfs into this country. You may try a search here. I think that a few specific stores have been mentioned in the past.

Good luck,
Neil

M0oN

5 Year Member
Thanks so much Neil, is Dolphin the name of the vendor or a user on this forum?

I'm willing to drive a couple of hours to pick them up, it just seems like mail order is a waste of money for a mere pair of apisto.

- Jason

Neil

Dolphin is the largest importer of Tropical fish in the country, as far as I know. They, unfortunately, will only sell to wholesalers and occasionally retailers and only in large amounts. I was just pointing that out to let you know that it is suprising that, with them in LA, there are not Apistogramma species all over the place down there!

Sorry,
Neil

P

P. sacrimontis

A large store near me seems to be supplied by a breeder(small double reds for 4 bucks each). If you are willign to drive to the Central Valley I could tell you what it is!(just don't by all the apistos!). They also have WC cockatoos in stock on the occasion, with aggies as contaminants.

Y

yuccan

Moon, I live in Orange County also and have have only rarely seen any apistos here. Once in a while, someone has luck with breeding and
you see a tank of smaller fish, all in the same family. Please if anyone finds
a shop in Southern Calif. LA, Orange, Riverside, San Berndino or San Deigo, please let us know. It seems like Salt water is all the rage, or the occasional African if they use Coke......Just kidding.

medge00

5 Year Member
Strictly fish in Lakewood (i know, not oc, but close, right?) will bring in apistos occasionally. They may be willing to special order if you are nice to them and sincere. Ask for the guy that orders the fish (I don't remember his name, but they'll point you in the right direction) I saw borelli there about 2 months ago. hope this helps.

tjd

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I too have experienced the lack of Dwarf Cichlids at the LFS's in the So. Cal. area -- beautiful corals and salt water fish at almost any LFS though.

However, a few places that I have found and what I saw at are:

Total Tropical Fish - Upland, CA. A. cacatuoides, A. agassizii, A. viejita. Ron gets his Apistos from a LA based distributor, Southland Aquatics in addition to local breeders.

Aquarium City - Canoga Park, CA. A. cacatuoides, A. eunotus, A. borellii.
Don't know who they go through but they also offered to handle any special requests for Apistos. They usually sell pairs.

The stock at these stores fluctuates and the prices were 1.5 to 2.5 times what can be found online but might make sense if only buying a couple fish.

Hope this helps and I am curious for anybody else's input as well,
Tom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….