• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Velifera Breeding

Sowah

Hi there,
I picked up a pair of apistogramma velifera in October last year but I have difficulty to have them breeding.
The water parameters are as follow:
pH: around 6.5-7 (currently using peated water to lower)
TDS: 100
kH: ~6
The fish shop told me I’ll have to keep the pH at around 6 for them to breed but I am also aware that the female is monogamous. Currently, only the male is chasing the female and the female only turns yellow when I’m feeding.
I am wondering if the current water parameters are suitable for breeding and if I should get one more female in my 20G tank just in case they don’t pair? If I separate them for a few weeks, would they forget each other and increase the chance of mating?

thanks you!!

Attachments

• 3481793D-30EC-4A0C-A7AC-061B667CE983.jpeg
    3481793D-30EC-4A0C-A7AC-061B667CE983.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 135
  • 16746C9F-CA14-49CD-BB8A-73231CFE6A82.jpeg
    16746C9F-CA14-49CD-BB8A-73231CFE6A82.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 138

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. velifera is a true blackwater species. Your 2 might spawn in your present water values but it is unlikely that the eggs will hatch. My suggestion is to lower the pH to ~ 5.5 and lower the KH to <2. The male is probably frustrated that the female has not produced fry and trying to drive her away in hopes for a more suitable male (or visa versa).

Sowah

A. velifera is a true blackwater species. Your 2 might spawn in your present water values but it is unlikely that the eggs will hatch. My suggestion is to lower the pH to ~ 5.5 and lower the KH to <2. The male is probably frustrated that the female has not produced fry and trying to drive her away in hopes for a more suitable male (or visa versa).
Thank you Mike! From what you have mentioned, does that mean the pair won’t work even with the suggested water parameters? Or do you suggest me to lower the pH and KH before getting another female? I am currently keeping them with otos, nannostomus eques and rubrocaudatus as dithers, I believe they would do alright in such parameters?

MacZ

Or do you suggest me to lower the pH and KH before getting another female? I am currently keeping them with otos, nannostomus eques and rubrocaudatus as dithers, I believe they would do alright in such parameters?
Yep, down with the parameters before you get another female, all fish should be fine with that.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Before I would get another female I would lower the parameters and let them try again. Only if there still are non-compatibility problems would I try another female or 2 ... or 3 or... .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….