• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma trifasciata in 15 gallons ?

A

Alberich

Hello,

I have a new 15 gallons, and I was wandering if I could put in it a trio of A. trifasciata: Do you think it is possible ? Or is this species too agressive for such a volume ?

Thank you in advance !!!

Apistt_ed

I have kept A. trifasciata in 15gallon tanks and they do get into squabbles when there are fry present but if you put in a good amount of java moss in the tank to where the females don't see each other constantly, then they'll be fine. It is more than possible but with good planning. I set the only possible spawning caves at opposite corners of the tank and threw in a mass of java moss to divide them. If luck is with you, they'll spawn around the same time and in the designated areas. best luck. john

A

Alberich

Apistt_ed said:
I have kept A. trifasciata in 15gallon tanks and they do get into squabbles when there are fry present but if you put in a good amount of java moss in the tank to where the females don't see each other constantly, then they'll be fine. It is more than possible but with good planning. I set the only possible spawning caves at opposite corners of the tank and threw in a mass of java moss to divide them. If luck is with you, they'll spawn around the same time and in the designated areas. best luck. john

Thank you for the anwer !
And what about keeping only a pair ? Is it less risky than a trio in a 15 gallons ?

ampdaman

5 Year Member
hey i was wondering the same thing =) best of luck on finding out if there could eb a trio in a 15gallon.

ProF_FR

5 Year Member
Personnally i wouldn't put a trio of trifasciatas in 15 gallons its too small, and i don't think about a pair because of the male's prosecution to females :p

ProF

Mizu

5 Year Member
Hello fellow apisto keepers.

Not to hijack the thread but could a trio of agassizii share a planted 15 gallon? Because i currently have a pair of red/gold that spawned 9 days after I bought them. There was a conflict between the couple and they ate the eggs. Before the fight, the male was "depressive" going up and down the glass. Now he patrols the whole tank and got much more colors and chases the female away after trying to court her. I have a small school of 6 cardinals as dither and 5 ghost shrimps as cleanup crew. Is that setup sound?

here is the said tank
DSCF2789.jpg

btw this is a GREAT forum. Keep up the good work.:biggrin:

A

Alberich

Hello again !

I think I will try the trio of trifasciata in a 15 gallons. I have a 30 gallons if something gets wrong...

I am not familiar with dither fish. Should I put some with the trifasciata ? And if yes, which species are the best, and how many ?

Thank you in advance !

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nanotankfun

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(