• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma trifasciata aggression.

ghotilurk

Hello! I recently acquired a pair of apistogramma trifasciata for my 20 gallon tank. They were supposedly a breeding pair, but I've had them in my tank for about a week now and the male goes after the female and nips at her whenever he gets close. She spends her time on the opposite side of the tank from him trying to stay out of his way. He doesn't actively seek her out and chase her down, but he goes after her if they ever come across each other. The female seems to be okay for the most part. She does not hide all of the time, but she does seem pretty timid compared to the male, and clearly tries to avoid him.

Normally I would solve this problem by getting another female to balance out the aggression, but my local fish store does not have anymore of these fish, and likely will not for some time given their specialty nature. So I'm wondering what I should do. At what point should I be interfering and perhaps removing one of them from the tank? I do not have another tank available in which to keep the male or the female, so I could take one back to my local fish store if absolutely necessary. I don't want her to be living in fear.

Any advice appreciated!

ghotilurk

Here is the culprit; beautiful, but a little rude! I've named him Tempest.
IMG_6221.jpg

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
You could put a separator in the tank in the meantime, but I would try to order another female online. Question: If you do not have another tank available, what will you do when they breed?

ghotilurk

You could put a separator in the tank in the meantime, but I would try to order another female online. Question: If you do not have another tank available, what will you do when they breed?
Yeah, I could try online. I live in Canada though, so my options of where I can order from are limited right now with COVID. As for breeding, I'm not expecting them to breed any time soon as my pH is higher than what they like for spawning, and I'm keeping the temp a bit lower. But if they do, I do have another tank, it is just not in use/not cycled at this time. When needed, I will set it up but I'm moving in a few months, so hoping to wait until then.

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Obviously you are not familiar with apisto behavior in general nor A. trifasciata specifically. First most, apistos do not form breeding pairs long-term, but only pair up when both parties are ready to spawn. It appears that your female is not yet ready. In these cases the male will try to drive non-receptive females out of his territory in hopes that another, more receptive, female will appear. Second, A. trifasciata males tend to be extremely polygamous, more so than most species. What you see between your 2 fish is typical of this species. Fortunately your female seems to be able to hide from the male much of the time. Third, A. trifasciata is one of the most adaptable apisto when dealing with water values and particularly temperatures (think central Florida temps). They will reproduce in almost any water conditions except liquid cement - and try to breed in almost any wet environment. This is why they have been an aquarium fish for 100 years. Therefore, your conditions will not prevent them from trying to breed.

My suggestion is to leave things as they are unless the female becomes physically harmed, overly stressed or you see her hiding at the top of the tank. I keep a short length of floating black PBS pipe at the top of the tank as a 'safe room' if needed. Eventually, if all goes well, the female will enter spawning condition and be receptive to the male's advances. When/if this results in fry, it is then the male's turn to be on the receiving end of the mother's aggression.

ghotilurk

Obviously you are not familiar with apisto behavior in general nor A. trifasciata specifically. First most, apistos do not form breeding pairs long-term, but only pair up when both parties are ready to spawn. It appears that your female is not yet ready. In these cases the male will try to drive non-receptive females out of his territory in hopes that another, more receptive, female will appear. Second, A. trifasciata males tend to be extremely polygamous, more so than most species. What you see between your 2 fish is typical of this species. Fortunately your female seems to be able to hide from the male much of the time. Third, A. trifasciata is one of the most adaptable apisto when dealing with water values and particularly temperatures (think central Florida temps). They will reproduce in almost any water conditions except liquid cement - and try to breed in almost any wet environment. This is why they have been an aquarium fish for 100 years. Therefore, your conditions will not prevent them from trying to breed.

My suggestion is to leave things as they are unless the female becomes physically harmed, overly stressed or you see her hiding at the top of the tank. I keep a short length of floating black PBS pipe at the top of the tank as a 'safe room' if needed. Eventually, if all goes well, the female will enter spawning condition and be receptive to the male's advances. When/if this results in fry, it is then the male's turn to be on the receiving end of the mother's aggression.
Thank you for the information. I am new to the apistogramma genus; I have mostly kept nannacara anomala in the past, and they certainly behave differently. I had read about general apisto behavior and breeding, but could not find a lot of specific info on trifasciata; I will have to find a few good sources. I had wanted to get a second female, as I knew apistogramma are more polygamous, but my LFS did not have any more, so I just bought the pair and hoped for the best until I could find more. I am certainly learning now! There are plenty of places for my female to hide in the tank, but I will certainly keep an eye on her to make sure she's doing okay. Thanks!

ghotilurk

Every book in the past 80 years with apistos in it has something on A. trifasciata. I guess people don't read books anymore.
Mike, while I see where you're coming from, I feel a bit snubbed by your responses. Perhaps a bit more grace for people who are trying to learn would be a better approach, especially since you are a staff member and moderator. Access to books right now is not the easiest with COVID, so I am making due with what I have. We're all just trying our best to learn, and seeking advice is part of that. Please make me feel welcome to do so.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I am sorry if you felt I snubbed you. That was not my intent. My comment about people not reading books anymore was pointed at people in general, and not just those in the aquarium hobby. There is a lot of interesting information that I know of, in many different fields not just this hobby, that is not widely disseminated because publishers consider it not profitable to publish because people are not willing to pay the cost of a book.

For you and others who are interested in A. trifasciata here is an excellent 55 year old article:
Burchard, John E. 1965. "Family structure in the dwarf cichlid Apistogramma trifasciatum Eigenmann and Kennedy)". You can find a copy at: http://aquadico.com/up/Family_Structure_in_the_Dwarf_Cichlid_Apistogramma_trifasciatum.pdf

ghotilurk

I am sorry if you felt I snubbed you. That was not my intent. My comment about people not reading books anymore was pointed at people in general, and not just those in the aquarium hobby. There is a lot of interesting information that I know of, in many different fields not just this hobby, that is not widely disseminated because publishers consider it not profitable to publish because people are not willing to pay the cost of a book.

For you and others who are interested in A. trifasciata here is an excellent 55 year old article:
Burchard, John E. 1965. "Family structure in the dwarf cichlid Apistogramma trifasciatum Eigenmann and Kennedy)". You can find a copy at: http://aquadico.com/up/Family_Structure_in_the_Dwarf_Cichlid_Apistogramma_trifasciatum.pdf
Hi Mike, not a problem, and a bit of an overreaction on my end. As much as I love this hobby, I find the fish keeping community can be quite judgmental at times (I kind of get why, even though it can be frustrating), so I think I'm just a bit jumpy.

Thank you for the article, I will take a good read.

Also, an update on my fish; I have put a tank divider in for now, as my poor female could not catch a rest and started to hide in the floating plants at the top of the tank. I called my LFS, and they said they will let me know when they receive more trifasciata, so I think I will try to get another female when the time comes. I may try out this pair together again in a few weeks to see if there is any change in the female's receptivity. I will make sure to educate myself on trifasciata breeding as much as possible in the meantime, to make sure I am doing everything as well as I can. I think I will also create a few more hides; I thought I had enough, but I think I could do with more, especially if I'll be adding in another female.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….