• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Sp. Steel Blue

ADC Nederland

Hey!

Yesterday I received a trio Apistogramma Sp. Steel Blue. Even though it is a bred species / hybrid, It is still one of my favorite species.

They are still adjusting and the females can be a bit fiesty.

Day 1 - Oktober 24, 2014:
322.jpg

323.jpg

324.jpg

325.jpg

326.jpg

327.jpg

328.jpg

Day 3 - Oktober 26, 2014:

341.jpg

342.jpg

343.jpg

344.jpg

Fikret Celik

5 Year Member
Indeed, a kind of hybrid, although very nice fish. Turkey is also very common, but also a kind of produced. Although these beautiful images, I am opposed to nutrition because they are hybrids. Do not misunderstand me, I congratulate you, very nice and attractive fish:)...

gerald

5 Year Member
The "females" can be especially feisty when they're not really females. Until they turn yellow it's difficult to be certain with steel-blues. Females are not common in shops, unless you can find some locally-bred fish that a hobbyist traded in. My guess is the commercial breeders use temperature or drugs to produce nearly all males.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
The "females" can be especially feisty when they're not really females. Until they turn yellow it's difficult to be certain with steel-blues. Females are not common in shops, unless you can find some locally-bred fish that a hobbyist traded in. My guess is the commercial breeders use temperature or drugs to produce nearly all males.
I was just going to write the same, that I think your female may be a male. I'd look for black ventral fin edges and not much facial patterning on the females.

These a pair that used to belong to UK Apistogramma guru Ste Chesters.

cheers Darrel

ADC Nederland

The photos posted are from the first day so it's hard to see anything because they are still adjusting. I've had males and females before and I don't get my fish from a local shop. With Apisto's its always unclear what you have until they show bright yellow colors. Every species I've had so far also had males pretending to be females.

It's a frustrating issue sometimes... But hey... Gives me something to do :D

I'll try and get some more photos from the Steel Blues this week.

deliriouz

Nice looking fish! For a probable hybrid, they look great and are easy to breed. They were my first apisto species and was what got me hooked on them. So I wouldn't go around knocking them.

Been breeding them up to 4 generations now and consistently more than 90% of the fry are males...breeding temp at 22-25deg. Might try one day to up the temp and see if I get more females but too busy now with other apisto species!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….