• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apistogramma rotpunkt or red dot

hmglis

5 Year Member
hey guys,
well..i have a dozen apisto. rotpunkt in a 55 gal with plants, and 10 glowlight tetras. i was wondering if anyone had any experience breeding and keeping them? right now all i see is a somewhat steel blue face mask with black lines through their bodies. i feed them aquadine and various flakes along with daphnia and frozen bloodworms. any info appreciated. thanks!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I found A. sp. Rotpunkt is one of the easier apistos to breed. Females are nearly always excellent mothers, but can be quite aggressive when defending their eggs/fry. Water values are not really that important as long as they are not too extreme. Good luck with your fish & welcome to the forum.

gingerbeer

5 Year Member
100_0741.jpg

First sign of sex difference was the colour in the face. Colour can be quite variable depending on mood - he get more intense blue with lovely black marginals. (I have seen a few in shops from same shipment that look like a silver fish with a line through them)

He is a cranky poop. I have a pair and could really do with another female too calm him down a bit.

I use a breeding pot (being a terracotta pot with a hole cut in the bottom - placted upsidedown on the gravel). The female dug out some gravel in the pot and decorated the top of the pot with gravel. Think it was a disguise......

Fairly fast growing fry I would say.

HTH
Steve

hmglis

5 Year Member
thanks for the responce guys...i was also wondering at what size do these guys breed at? i have at least 4 that are 1.25" and starting to flare up at the others. sometimes they get really dark in color and the blue on their face get pretty intense.

RiC

5 Year Member
i was also wondering at what size do these guys breed at? i have at least 4 that are 1.25" and starting to flare up at the others. sometimes they get really dark in color and the blue on their face get pretty intense.

At that size, they are definitely ready to breed - mine breed at a smaller size :rolleyes:

RiC

5 Year Member
Give them some live baby brine (only) for a while and you will see the result... and be careful, those guys breed like rabbits: the whole Atlanta area has been totally invaded by my F1... :eek:

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I'll have to try these guys out. They are pretty as well as easy to breed. I find it helps my attitude to raise a few that reward your efforts easily when also trying to breed more difficult species. They look like a delicious break from potatos(Apistogramma borelli).

RLOPES

i got 2 rotpunkt , i think one couple as i see no agression between them and one of them is bigger and more coloured than the other.My only doubt is that the one i think is a female, also as blue markings in the face. Is it possible that females from this species have also blue marks or only the males could have them?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….