• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Mendezi maintenance

Wazaaaa

Hello, I have been inquiring for a while about the maintenance of the Apistogramma Mendezi, I know that it takes 4.5 / 5 Ph, GH KH 1/2 (a thing of kind), an ideal temprature of 26 * C but what is the ideal measurement in microsiemens [μS]? 50 ? 80 ? Thanks in advance.
Ps: If you have advice on maintenance, especially do not hesitate.

Sorry I use a translator to write

MacZ

The measurements are not set in stone. You do not have to hit the numbers in the literature except if they are known prerequisite for breeding.

For blackwater fish the following readings are in the OK-range for keeping:
TDS: 10 - 60 mg/l
EC: 20 - 120 µSI/cm
Temp: Depending on the origin 22 - 29°C

I keep my Dicrossus (same habitat as Mendezi) at roughly 40-50 mg/l TDS, 80-100 µSI/cm and 27°C. GH/KH are below detection, pH roughly at 5.
Those readings are on the verge between blackwater and clearwater. I do not use acid or peat. All achieved with botanicals and botanical extracts in 100% RO.

pH and GH/KH are less important. In the TDS/EC-range above GH and KH will be very much below detection.
pH will balance in between 6.5 and 4.5 depending on your method. In your botanical method tank you will likely start out between 6.5 and 5 and over time will go down to quite stable 4.5 if you regularly add more leaf litter/botanicals or regularly use peat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….