• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma iniridae

Reggie Leuty

I was curious if anyone has experience with Apistogramma iniridae husbandry and pictures of their adults . I've read limited literature online. Are these still consider rare ?

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Apistogramma iniridae is a species which comes from very soft and acidic water. The pH should be about 5.5 and the TDS around 25 ppm. They may be found in either clear or black water.
They are not rare but they are not seen for sale often either. They can be handsome fish but they are not one of the most colorful species. An adult male in display has an impressively large dorsal fin. I haven't had any for about 7 years and the last time I had them I had just bought a little pocket digital camera and took these photos. My pair spawned but the eggs went bad. I was keeping them in tap water with a pH of 7.4 and 250 ppm TDS.
Male
A-6.jpg

Female in breeding colors. Sorry about out of focus.
A-5.jpg

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Mike: Apparently internet is much cheaper and the internet is always right.....

As for the availability, they were available from Wetspot last year. I personally prefer A. pertensis. As Larry mentioned, they do require acidic and very soft water. I was breeding them in water around 50 to 75uS. Once you provide the correct water parameters, the rest will come naturally.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
The advent of the internet has been a boon to our hobby. Especially since new species are introduced to the hobby faster than books can keep up. I have been accumulating tropical fish books since 1961. My tropical fish book lbrary is equaled only by my Fly Fishing books library. It has been written that fly fishermen write more books about the sport than any other sporting activity.
One of my most useful books about breeding tropical fish is "Breeding Tropical Fish" by Julius Nachstedt and Hans Tusche,in 1954, translated by William Vorderwinkler and published by Aquarium Stock Company in1961. The German breeders of old were noted for their successes with breeding the most difficult fishes of their day. They took painstaking efforts to seek out springs with soft acid water, maintaining incredibly hygienically clean preparations of their water and tanks. Small fish were rarely bred in aquara more than 2 gallons. Live foods were almost exclusively used.
We may not think much about it now but today we all benefit from the pioneering efforts of our predecessors.
I encourage all beginning breeders to collect both old and new books which were held in high regard in their day. It helps us as fish breeders and is a fine adjunct hobby which helps one have a sense of the rich history of our hobby.
One can often find some real gems in old book stores and on line.
Volume I and II of Hans baensch's Aquarium Atlas are modern day classics published by Mergus Press. Mergus Press also published Cichlid Atlas 1 and II. I see used Vol I on amazon.com for about $50 and Vol II for $454!!
I also recommend "American Cichlids Vol 1 Dwarf Cichlids" by Horst Linke and Dr Wolfgang Staeck and "South American Dwarf Cichlids" by Hans J. Mayland and Dieter Bork.
I have the all the Aqualog Volumes 1 through IV. "South American Cichlids Vol II" is the one dedicated to the dwarf Cichlids we focus on most here and well worth getting.
Also any of Uwe Romer's Dwarf Cichlid books you can find and afford. Alas, these are missing from my personal collection.
The internet helps us keep up to date with reclassifications/scientific name revisions and newest introductions. The synergy gained from making the most of all sources is invaluable.
Please excuse the long post. I am a book lover, especially when it comes to my prime avocations of tropical fish breeding and fly fishing.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Mike: Apparently internet is much cheaper and the internet is always right.....

As for the availability, they were available from Wetspot last year. I personally prefer A. pertensis. As Larry mentioned, they do require acidic and very soft water. I was breeding them in water around 50 to 75uS. Once you provide the correct water parameters, the rest will come naturally.

I also prefer Apistogramma pertensis over A iniridae. While both are pleasantly understated beauties, I have to give A. pertensis the nod. BIG sail fin-like dorsal fin on the males and a bit more colorful. I have only found them once. I spotted 3 tiny juvenile Apistogramma among over 1000 Cardinal Tetras. They grew up to be a reverse pair of A. pertensis. I only paid a $1.00 each for them! Pity that fish are more carefully sorted now that many like Apistogramma spp have become so popular; I love finding overlooked jewels.
I was successful at getting them to breed.

I had a fish shop back when Apistogramma spp were sold as "assorted" and prices were often only $0.20 in lots of 100.
Those were the days. Most lots were a mixture of A. agassizi, A. bitaeniata and Nanacara anomala, depending upon the supplier's sources.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loscide

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….