• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma identification

ryansmith83

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

I have had an account here for a long time but I rarely log in. I've spent the last 10 - 15 years working mostly with Heros, Geophagus, and various acaras (Andinoacara, Aequidens, Bujurquina, Krobia, etc.). I have never really ventured into Apistos. I'm familiar with South American cichlid husbandry and I've bred and raised a lot of difficult stuff (blackwater fish, etc.). But the Apistos are a large, unwieldy group and I've never known quite which angle to attack it from.

I am local to First Coast Tropical Fish in Florida (username 90125 on AquaBid) who received a wild-caught "mystery" Apisto last week that they cannot identify. I have no idea the country of origin -- he has wild-caught fish on his list from Colombia, Peru, and Brazil, so it doesn't really narrow it down much. I was wondering if anyone had a guess based on the fins and colors here. This is the only picture he sent.

He also has Apistogrammoides on his list which I'm curious about. I'm going tomorrow to check him out and I'm thinking of trying my hand at some Apistos, but it'd be nice to know which species I'm potentially looking at before I make a purchase. It's so rare to find any wild-caught cichlids locally that I didn't want to pass up an opportunity.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Attachments

• wild apisto.jpg
    wild apisto.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 270

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
It's a macmasteri-subcomplex species and from what I can see, it can be A. macmasteri. But without information on the catch location, it's impossible to be sure.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
A macmasteri complex fish, would be my guess too.. though i’m by far any expert.
Beautiful fish, nonetheless..

-r

ryansmith83

5 Year Member
Thank you for all the help. The consensus from everyone here and several people on Facebook (I know, I know) agree that it's in the macmasteri group, likely macmasteri itself.

I was being indecisive about them today and decided I didn't want to roll the dice if I didn't know what they were, so instead I came home with a pair of Czech-bred A. nijsseni... and Laetacara, and Dicrossus. Oops.

MacZ

I was being indecisive about them today and decided I didn't want to roll the dice if I didn't know what they were, so instead I came home with a pair of Czech-bred A. nijsseni... and Laetacara, and Dicrossus. Oops.

The better decision imo. Macmasteri, even wild caughts, recently seem a bit ubiquitous.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….