• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma ID Please

Fats

Hi,i have asked for an ID before but i think it was a little to young to be sure. Ive managed to get some new pics of him and also he has fathered a nice large brood of fry recently. Originally he was brought in as A.Vielfleck but is clearly not as hes nothing like my male Vielfleck. Im hoping somebody will be able to give me a positive ID especially now they have spawned.

Regards
Ian
IMG_4543.jpg

IMG_4547.jpg

b58b9e4c.jpg

c2b6aac6.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Look at the 'sticky' in the South American Cichlid Identification forum and answer as many of the questions as possible. Personally, this is where this post should have been posted. I don't even know why we have this forum in General Discussions. It is redundant. End of rant.:)

From what I see, I think that this is a Xingu-complex species, although the lateral band appears a bit narrow (maybe just the mood he is in). My guess right now is that your fish is one of the populations of the species sold under the name A. sp. Xingu/Samaúma/sp. affin. Peixoto/Vielfleck. Although the fish looks much like the population originally collected near Samaúma Brazil, I would call it A. sp. Xingu unless I knew exactly where it was collected.

Fats

Hi Mike,sorry i didn't realize it was in the wrong place i just looked where a previous ID request was placed.
Ive emailed the owner of the shop who imported these and all they can tell me location wise is the River Xingu. Would of been nice to of had an exact catch location,not to worry. These could be the only ones if not one of very few in the UK,which might not be for long as the female hates him so Ive had to remove him even before she brought out her first batch of fry she couldn't stand the sight of him im surprised they even bred.
Thanks again Mike for your time.

Ian

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi Mike,sorry i didn't realize it was in the wrong place i just looked where a previous ID request was placed.

You did use the wrong place, Ian. For some reason there are 3 ID fora: SA, Africa, and general. Maybe it's just me but I don't see a need for all 3. If your fish were collected in the Xingu, then I am confident that they are one of the many populations of A. sp. Xingu. That is the name under which I would sell any fry. You could say that they are similar to the Samaúma form, but please don't sell them under this name.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….