• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma ID , i need help

lycan92

hi!

this is my first message in the forum and I'm needing help to identify my new apisto

I bought without identification, in the middle of a lot of Dicrossus filamentosus collected, so you do not know for sure which is the species

in another forum told me it was gibbiceps because of the vertical bars below the horizontal line, so I read here that this is not a feature of gibbiceps exclusive , then wanted to know which of you and the right kind

there go the photos (sorry for quality)

male

p1010160y.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

p1010195fe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

p1010205x.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

female

p1010186u.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I think they are gibbiceps, so I want to be sure, sometimes they show a different look, with some black specks on the fins, caudal, dorsal and anal, do not know if that enormal, tbm and he appears to be thinner doque photos I see on the Internet

I am grateful for the attention .......... and forgive me for bad English, I am Brazilian and I had to translate the net, for here and one of the best places to get the correct ID and my apisto

thanks!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome to the apisto forum! I will have to say that the fish in the photos are too small to accurately identify. It might be A. gibbiceps. It is found in the same general area as D. filamentosus. I would need larger and sharper photos to be certain. Other apisto species that are found with D. filamentosus and have the distinct abdominal bars include A. iniridae and A. sp. Blutkehl/Cutthroat.

lycan92

thank you for your help

dw1305

I tried to do the layout of the pond as pleasant as possible for apistos, so now I gave a remodeled for him to be easier to clean and more open area
to apistos swim

thanks for the link, I will translate and read to do it right, thank you!

Mike Wise

I am grateful for your help, I'll see if arrangement better shots, I'll see if I can for the tap in a smaller aquarium, along with a mirror in the background, to take pictures of him with the fins open to get better ...... ..... good guess who is not apistogramma iniridae because he has a tail in the form of lira, as another species, I have never seen pictures of this apistogramma sp. Blutkehl / Cutthroat., You have some image of it for me to compare? apistos besides these two, there are some others that have the bars abs? even if they are not found with the Dicrossus?

Hugs!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. sp. Blutkehl is very similar to A. uaupesi in fins and body shape. Another species with distinct abdominal bars below the lateral band is A. personata. I understand that it was recently collected in Colombia by a Japanese hobbyist. Anyone else ready to go into the jungles of Colombia beside me?

lycan92

thank you for your help

the photos I saw, do not think it is the A.blutkehl because of the dorsal fin to the blutkehl as well as the A.uaupesi is high and has a straight, while the apistogramma I have a medium size and serrated .......... which dismisses the possibility, though my apisto young (the male must have at most 4 cm, while the female has her 3-3,2 cm) but do not know if the format of the dorsal fin may change

you have some picture A.personata and to compare? and that such A. Cutthroat? has pictures of him?

good until I get a camera, what can be said of their physical characteristics are slim, serrated dorsal fin, caudal fin in lira, the lower half of head yellow, the color of the tail when he's in front of his reflection, adiquiri a dark appearance, with horizontal rays going from the beginning to the end of the tail, ranging from red and dark blue, as in all other fins ........... giving empreção being black, when this quiet, the cord gets ums ray bright blue with red tips, and calm the other fins not have much color

I'll try to get a camera, and photos by following the tips of the link the dw1305 posted, and pictures showing apistos coloring this when frightened, so will give their all to see spots of the body

thanks again, thanks!

lycan92

hello people

so a good thing, if u and I apistogramma teho the case of a really gibbiceps ........ someone has pictures of his natural habitat? tbm if possible with pictures underwater? lim a time here on such a Prosperitat of sao, which has photos of the CA1, so that this book is not selling here in Brazil, someone has photos of this place?

and how can I apistogramma gibbiceps by an aqua de 60x30x30cm?

Hugs!

lycan92

Apistogramma ID , now with better pictures

hello again people, as I said I got a camera and took pictures of the best apistos, showing all his spots, fins and so on.

Good or post some pictures of male and female and then put a video okay!

the first of the female

p1010220h.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

p1010212x.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

p1010242j.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

p1010210w.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

now the male

p1010222yw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

p1010226v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

p1010239.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

p1010243e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

p1010248u.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I hope you can help me, these were the best pictures I could, not only to get a shot of the tail fin of the female without being closed because she was very frightened

one way to assemble a site for the photos, using an aquarium of less than 1 liter, and 2 sand filter plates biological background, so that the water was not as clear as it used to water the aquarium, not to harm fish, using a different water

after I post a video

Hugs!

lycan92

thank you for your help .......

I think it's a female, because when he began to show itself in the mirror, she acquired his amarelad a color and was showing off for him, and she does not and the only female I have, has it increased in aqua main it is separated

you know if I can put a 1M and 2F of 60x30x3cm aquarium?

else ....... to know what the range of gibbiceps is? type, which location?

which the maximum size that the gibbiceps are?

there is video of him : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH5Vu4kLbOE

Hugs!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
you know if I can put a 1M and 2F of 60x30x3cm aquarium?

Yes - if decorated properly with many caves and hiding places.

else ....... to know what the range of gibbiceps is? type, which location?
A. gibbiceps is found in the lower and middle Rio Negro of Brazil, from the Anavilhanas Archipelago (near Manaus) to below the Rio Uaupés. It is also found in the lower and middle Rio Branco, below Boa Vista.

which the maximum size that the gibbiceps are?
This is a medium size apistogramma - males <7.5 cm/3 in, females <6 cm/2¼ in.

lycan92

thanks!

Could my gibbiceps will pick up more color? they are still small, will it be more colorful?

The advantages and disadvantages of having a trio?

I have a problem, they always remain hidden, so when I'm not leaving the room, and when I hide them away, what can I do for them to get more for swimming aqua?

they are difficult to reproduce? grow fast?

Hugs!

blueblue

5 Year Member
1. I agree with Mark and would say that both are male.

2. If you feed them well with food such as tetra bits,
their cheeks can turn into orange. Have fun.

lycan92

thank you very much!

I thought that this was also a pity that female and male, but the other is really a female, this very yellow and came her ovipositor

I'll invest in this race, I want to see my fish and colorful and sudáveis, after the Apistogrammas are small gems that should be treated with respect and affection

now, I'll collect my 5 species Tracks, wanted to ask you something ........... how many liters per couple should have? and not with the intention of playing, but only as a hobby

Hugs!

blueblue

5 Year Member
how many liters per couple should have? and not with the intention of playing, but only as a hobby

Hugs!

It really depends. I am always being called a serious hobbyist while I would host
a pair of apistos (1 male, 1 female + 1-2 Oto) in a tank with volume ranging from 10 liters to 50+ liters. They survive and breed well in a 10 liters tank with ADA Aquasoil substrate.

lycan92

wow!

10 liters? I thought it was too small for a couple of apistos, but you understand the subject, but so would be to umaespecie small right?

was thinking of 45x30x30cm in aquariums, is a good? and the female spawn, I would have to take the male? which the extent that I could leave them together even if it spawn?

Another thing, I do not have structure to bring forth their young, ......... type, an aquarium to separate, place to hatch artemia, and not have time to care for them too ....... what do I do if they reproduce? I can fry with the parents? without separ?

besides the ottos, wanted by a couple of a viviparous fish, providing food to go live for apistos, and services are also dither fishes, for apistos not become so hidden, and then some other tetra that was the biotope, it would be nice ? would be a problem?

Hugs!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….