• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma hongsloi breeding

clusty

Hey,

Two weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to pick up a pair of apisto hongsloi. I stuck them in a 10 gallon tank with graver substrate and a few easy plants.
Was wondering what could I do to coax them into breeding? Twist their fin ? :)

Temp is 84f with a ph of 6.6. I am feeding them an assortment of cichlid dry food, frozen brine shrimp and live grindal worms.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
IMHO a 10 is a bit small, but possible. I assume that you have some sort of cave in the tank, too. If the water isn't overly hard, everything else seems OK. I guess you just need a bit of patience.

clusty

IMHO a 10 is a bit small, but possible. I assume that you have some sort of cave in the tank, too. If the water isn't overly hard, everything else seems OK. I guess you just need a bit of patience.
10 is all I had. This is actually a quarantine tank, that I liked too much and decided to make it a permanent home for the apistos.
Water has a KH of about 4 with a GH of 9-ish.
I placed 1 mossy cave and 1 big rock with an anubias growing on it.
I saw the fish are occasionally flirting but nothing happened in 1 week :)

clusty

On a slightly different note: I will be adding discus to my main tank which prefer a temperature of 86. Think the rest of my apisto can take it? (cacatoides, panduro, agasizii). They are all now at 84.

clusty

86 degrees is on the high end of the recommended temp range for Discus and I've often read 80 to 84. Is there a reason you're going that high?
The discus are fairly small, 3.5", and the breeder keeps them at that temp.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
86F is perfect for discus. I was breeding them at 86 to 90F. I keep them at a lower temp around 82 to 84 when they are off the breeding cycle.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(