• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma fry development

Sowah

Hi guys,

I have two groups of apistogramma cacatuoides fry that were born in Jan and Feb this year. As I did not know they require frequent water changes to stimulate growth initially, I fed around twice a day of bbs and only changed 30% of water every week. It was too late until I realise you have to change almost 40% of water on alternate days.
The number of fry dropped tremendously from 80 initially to around 15 now (slowly over the past 4 months), the size for the remaining fry are only 1-2cm. I also observed some fry having damaged fish fin and looking fragile, I am wondering would the signs be due to the disproportional rate of development or there could be a bacterial outbreak between the fry? (but all other fish in the tank are healthy)

From the attached photos, it seems to me that the proportion of the eyes of the fish is relatively large when comparing to its body, which indicates developmental issue?

Attachments

• tempImagegcoppi.png
    tempImagegcoppi.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 140
  • tempImagejplBvb.png
    tempImagejplBvb.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 128

Sowah

Larger than normal eyes on fish typically indicates stunting. Stunting can be nutritional (quantity and quality of foods fed) or environmental (less than ideal water quality).
Thanks Mike, yeh it could be nutritional issue because there's a period when I only managed to feed on alternate days. Do you think the damaged fin would be due to stunting or fin nipping among themselves?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….