• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apistogramma elizabethae

K

keith

halo everybody, i'm new to this forum. can any one tell me how to id a female elizabethae? thanks :D

Neil

keith,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Elizabethae are a little difficult to ID until they reach a larger size. But there are a few things to look for.
1. Female usually have the standard female black edging on the front part of the ventral fins.
2. At times, females will show two lateral spots more distinctively than the males do. This is one of the few species to have this characteristic and can be used to ID the species from other fish similar body shapes.
3. The first few rays on the dorsal fin may be seperated in the female, but will usually be much shorter than the male. These rays quite often will be long and colored (sometimes red) in the male.
4. The famale will have less lance (pointed) tail than the male. It will usually look more squared off or round.
5. The female will usually have less body color than the male and sometimes be yellow with black markings, if in courtship or breeding mode. This is very helpful, except when you are dealing with the females of the yellow color form of elizabethae.

The above characteristics can be most helpful if used together to ID a female. One point alone does not a female make. For general identification information refer to the article on Apistogramma.com on that subject and good luck.
http://www.apistogramma.com/descriptionchar-article.htm
Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(