• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma borellii container pond?

Joshaeus

5 Year Member
Hello all! I am setting up a 24 inch pot as a container pond this spring, and am looking for something to keep in it. I have heard that A. borellii has the rare trait of being a temperate cichlid, capable of handling temperatures into the high 30's...so, how would they do in a container pond? Should I add a air pump, or would a pair and their fry be fine? Would I see much of them? Thankx in advance :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally, I wouldn't add borellii until outdoor temperatures remained above 50°F/10°C. Below that their metabolism is so low that they are very prone to diseases. A 24"/60cm diameter pot should be ok even without air (depending on numbers of specimens) but I highly doubt that you will see much of them. Nature designed them to be hard to see from above.

Joshaeus

5 Year Member
OK! That's still much longer than most cichlids could stay outdoors. PS...is that an average temperature or the minimum daily temperature?

Joshaeus

5 Year Member
Hate to revive such an old thread, but I am posting about the same topic...anyhow, strongly considering A. borellii for a water garden next year. The water garden will be 54 inches long, 36 wide, and 20 high (an 110 gallon rubber water trough) and will be heavily planted with a water lily, water lettuce, hornwort, and maybe other plants, with a hardware cloth lid to deter would be Apisto eaters. I was going to feed it once or twice daily with 1/2 teaspoon baby brine shrimp and do 10 gallon weekly water changes. How would A. borellii do in such a setup? I would put them in it as soon as nighttime air temps are in the 50's and pull them inside when they drop below 50.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think it should be OK, but I doubt that you'll ever see the fish. OTOH you should have a large number of borellii when in the fall. Just make sure you acclimate the fish temperature-wise before putting them outside; maybe reducing the temperature slowly (over a month's time) to room temperature first.

Joshaeus

5 Year Member
I will :) I will keep them at room temp year round to make this easier, and wait for nighttime temps to reach the 50's before introducing them outside.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….