• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma borelli

Fordtrannyman

5 Year Member
I have a young female A. Borelli that has developed a bump above her right eye.
At first I thought it was an injury, but it seems to have gotten a little bigger over the past couple days.
I need help identifying if it is an infection and how to treat it.
Thanks!

2.jpg

1.jpg

dw1305

5 Year Member
Pop-eye

Hi all,
She looks quite healthy otherwise which is a good sign, looks like "pop-eye", which is bacterial, possibly caused by "Fish TB", (MycoBacterium MB) or possibly by Æromonas, in this case usually related to a loss of water quality.

I've had no experience with MB, and no recent experience of "pop-eye", but the general suggestion would be a water change and increased aeration.

I'd probably have a look at this page from the "Skeptical Aquarist"<http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/bactin.shtml> before deciding whether to medicate.

If the pH was very low (below 6) I might raise it a little bit.

cheers Darrel

Fordtrannyman

5 Year Member
Hi all,
She looks quite healthy otherwise which is a good sign, looks like "pop-eye", which is bacterial, possibly caused by "Fish TB", (MycoBacterium MB) or possibly by Æromonas, in this case usually related to a loss of water quality.

I've had no experience with MB, and no recent experience of "pop-eye", but the general suggestion would be a water change and increased aeration.

I'd probably have a look at this page from the "Skeptical Aquarist"<http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/bactin.shtml> before deciding whether to medicate.

If the pH was very low (below 6) I might raise it a little bit.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for the reply and the link. Pretty cool read.
I'm still not convinced it's bacterial but, I'm a novice about fish disease and treatment. I have not had to deal with it much in the past 11 years I have been back into the hobby. Preventive maintenance has worked well for me. I have been treating the tank as if their might be a problem in lou of medication. Multiple water changes throughout the week instead of my usual 50%pwc once a week. Made sure to have good mech/bio/chem. filtration and increased flow turnover rate a tad.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Skeptical Aquarist

Hi all,
I hope she improves. I really like "the Skeptical Aquarist", lots of good advice, although I don't think he (Brett) is updating it any more.

She looks healthy, and as you said your water/filter looks in good condition, and so do your plants etc. so it might be worth just keeping up the water changes, keeping an eye on her and not doing anything else.

I only change a large volume of water if I've medicated, found a dead fish, been on vacation etc. Last time was when I was getting the kids breakfasts ready while I was doing the water changes. I use a 6 pint milk carton (plastic bottle) to change the water and I had a 6 pint carton of milk for the kids cornflakes, needless to say not a good idea and shortly followed by a some very cloudy water and then a 100% water change.

cheers Darrel

dw1305

5 Year Member
How is your female A. borellii getting on?

Hi Fordtrannyman
How is your female A. borellii getting on?
cheers Darrel

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thanuhrei

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(