• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma and RC sized shrimp

Borelliiguy

Now I know this question has been asked before but bare with me. I have kept a number of cichlid species over the years and the only species that didn't actively hunt cherry sized shrimp in my experience is the A. Borellii. I believe this is down to one factor, size...

I'm in the process of setting up a planted tank and planning out stocking and I'm wondering if there are any other, perhaps less common species, that is around the same size as the A. Borellii.

All suggestions appreciated on this one, thanks.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. wapisan; at 3.5cm/1¾" they are barely larger than the shrimp. The problem comes when shrimp molt their hard exoskeleton. Even large shrimp are vulnerable to other small community members.

Borelliiguy

Hey Mike

For me the problem isn't about the molting. In my experience shrimp tend to hide during molting and after so an opportunistic loss here and there isn't the concern. I'm more worried about finding an apisto of similar borellii size. They don't have to be micro just not hongsloi, macmasteri, cac, and agz big lol.

I really appreciate the suggestion. I immediately went searching for "A. wapisan" but no info on google : (

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sorry, the name is A. wapisana. I haven't seen it sold commercially since about 2000. Other small apistos would be A. angayuara, A. sp. Chao (neither have ever been sold commercially), A. paucisquamis, A. staecki, and A. sp. Wangenflecken/Cheek-stripes.

Borelliiguy

So Mr Wise

What would be my best bet? Which of these small species would you choose if you were aiming for my setup. Considering availability. Also is the A. elizabethae and tucururi worth considering for size?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
For me? I'd recommend A. sp. Wangenflecken. Of the commonly available species, it is more mellow - and more importantly - a whitewater species that adapts better to water values that are more to the liking of shrimp.

YuCheng

apisto elizabethae?
No way, apisto eliz will defiantly kill all RCS for sure especially male. My eliz can kill all RCS which I put in tanks in one night.(Those I over breed).
In my experience, sometimes it's not only about size. My apisto allpahuayo(F2) and sp. Miua(WC) were not bothering RCS. Also I feel female are normally more peaceful than male, also wild (WC) are normally more aggressive than F1, F2.....etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….