• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma and CBW

M0oN

5 Year Member
I know that apisto's can't handle digesting blood worms and CBW, but I was wondering if anyone has the background information on why this is true?

farm41

5 Year Member
Why do you think they can't handle CBW's?

I know of people feeding apistos a couple pounds of blackworms a week, I feed 1/4lb per week. My fish are fine. Picky eaters, but nice and healthy.

M0oN

5 Year Member
Hrm, maybe I'm getting them mixed up with another fish then, thought their intestines couldn't digest em'...which didn't make much sense to me...which is why I couldn't come ot my own conclusion...which is why I asked the question hehe...

Guess I better get a culture started for my panduro :)

farm41

5 Year Member
I have heard of blockage problems associated with bloodworms, but not a digestion or blockage problem with blackworms.

Ray McCaleb

5 Year Member
I'm a pound a week guy...California Black Worms. Be careful where you get them; rinse EVERY day; let them clean out for 3-5 days AFTER you receive them (before feeding to your fish). All my breeders get them...none of the fish I sell. I say this because once on worms, it's hard to get them to eat anything else, and not everyone wants the expense or effort of worms. Never a problem with blockages...or anything else for that matter.

Ray

Discus Man

5 Year Member
M0oN said:
I know that apisto's can't handle digesting blood worms and CBW
Moon, I was one of the people who stated on this forum about bloodworms and the other one was mosquito larvae.
Both insect larvae have a chitinous exoskeleton that doesn't digest. These shells can be viewed easily as they pass intact through the fish, Apsitos, Discus or Angels.
These exoskeletons can compact and will cause a blockage with small amounts of food left in each casing where bacteria can multiply very quickly causing intestinal problems.
CBW and other high protein sources have been suspect, but I firmly believe that this is a myth stemming from the known issues with bloodworm (especially the name- worm)
HTH

farm41

5 Year Member
M0oN said:
Think I'll just stick with chopped up red wigglers :)

Now, that is a great food, my fish love 'em. My kids like to dig them up too. Most times they are too big though, even chopped.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….