• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma agassizi breeding

DiorkyV

I've got a pair of fire red agassizi that have spawned twice. Both times, the eggs didn’t make it passed day 2. Anyone have any tips and tricks on how to get these guys to successfully spawn and raise the babies?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Proper water quality (regular maintenance), proper water values (slightly acid and moderately soft), quality frozen and live foods, and a properly designed breeding tank, plus a little patience has always worked for me.

DiorkyV

I do regular 20-40% weekly water changes, my tap and tank water are at a ph of 7.4 so I guess I’ll have to lower that. I feed them a combination of cichlids pellets, live black worms, and frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms. I have the pair in a 10g tank with 2 terra cotta pots and live plants

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally, I think 10 gal. tanks are a bit small for aggies, but I was successful in such small tanks way back when I was younger and more ignorant.:) I think you will be more successful in 10s - once you get the pH and hardness down - if you can separate the male from the female.

DiorkyV

I do have a 15gal and some 20 longs I could use for them. I will be trying to get my ph and hardness down with peat, alder cones and Indian almond leaves. Would that work for them?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….