• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto sp. Agassizii

Oupsy

5 Year Member
Hi,

I bought 2 males sold under "apisto sp. Aggie". Can you help me identify them more clearly ?

They are wild-caught and imported from Brazil (not sure where they've been caught though).

I'd like to find females so i need to identify the male more precisely

zzz05je.jpg

zzz21xe.jpg

zzz19ji.jpg

Oupsy

5 Year Member
Thank you, Sir.

As i am searching a female that could match my male, any chance i get an answer more precise.

i find so many agassizii (tefe, santarem, super red etc...), i don t know which one to buy.

What would happen if i get a female from a different form, i mean what would be the result of a spawn?

Apistt_ed

Hello, so far, I haven't seen anything wrong with different populations of aggies spawn.. I personally have done it plenty of times just to see what came out... I'm not sure if the young are fertile as I have never really allowed them to spawn past the parent's being originally different... but it is viable... from what I can see.. your's look kinda like the aggies of the Rio tigres. I have a few males that look similar to yours when they are aggressive. They are also quite available here in the states. I'm not 100%, but they do look a little like Rio Tigres aggies again. The parent fish didn't look like these, but 30% of the F1-F2 looked just like this (again when aggressive). Then again, it could be santerem strain too... anywho.. I'll see if i can get a clear picture of how mine looked. cheers and best wishes..

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The species "A. agassizii" is most likely a 'super species' that contains several species that only recently separated from each other. Your fish have the broad dark caudal edge with narrow lighter submarginal band that is seen in A. agassizii from tributaries of the Amazon the enter from the south & are east of the Rio Purus. Koslowski (2002) lists them as A. cf. agassizii "Formen mit breitem schwarzen Caudalsaum" (forms with broad black caudal edges). These forms usually tend to be more slender and the unpaired fins do not develop the super long tips like those seen on the "Netz" (net) form that comes from the tributaries of the Amazon north of the main channel & east of the Rio Negro. The 'holotype' forms, from the Solimões & Peruvian Amazon, are intermediate between the above forms in body & fin shapes. There are several other agassizii-like forms (like A. sp. aff. agassizii Tefé) in more isolated parts of the Amazon, too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….