• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto in discus tank

Bmize89

Hello all, so I have a 125g planted discus show tank. The stocking list is as follows:
9 Discus (ranging from 4"-6")
24 bloodfin tetra
13 sterbai Cory cats
1 super red male bristlenose pleco
1 longfin green dragon bristlenose pleco
1 SAE

So the tank is going good but I would really want to add maybe 1 male apistogramma cacatuoides "super red" to the tank. Do yall think he would do fine in a tank with those tank mates? I think there wouldn't be an issue but I'm just wanting some outside advice before I pull the trigger and get one. Also should I get just one or a male/female pair? Lastly if you know of any well known online breeders could u let me know? I am looking to buy top quality because this is my discus tank. Thanks everyone for your time
87b0847fa8eb4a38f5b432bd049c3d2e.jpg
919adc8fda7297d9d27424c781c06e26.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Bmize89

It's 81-82 degrees, and 4 discus are from Kenny's discus, 2 from hans, and 2 are from a local breeder. Actually 2 of my neon sapphires paired off and laid eggs last night so I will definitely be waiting to add anything else to the tank, honestly I used to breed rams and I was really wanting to do an apisto....I thought they do fine at highish temps

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apistos generally are not a long-living fish. Higher temperatures will shorten their life. Still, low 80s should be ok if your ok with this. I would not get a pair unless you like the appearance of females. You won't get any fry in this community of fishes. I'd be curious how well your discus defend their eggs from your plecos at night.

Bmize89

Well the pair of neon sapphire discus that laid the eggs are only 4" and this is there first spawn so I'm not expecting anything but good to know I have a pair. Ok so as I thought just one apisto male would probably do fine

Bmize89

Yea the eggs that were laid are already gone as expected but just to clarify 1 male apisto would do fine in this tank?
7a28172c1edb2bfea956177c799e89d3.jpg

Bmize89

Yea that's what I was thinking as well, thanks for the affirmation....anyone know of a well known online breeder? Or somewhere I could scoop up a show quality male? My area doesn't have many apisto and if they do they're not the strain or as high as quality as I'm looking for

Linus_Cello

5 Year Member
It's 81-82 degrees, and 4 discus are from Kenny's discus, 2 from hans, and 2 are from a local breeder. Actually 2 of my neon sapphires paired off and laid eggs last night so I will definitely be waiting to add anything else to the tank, honestly I used to breed rams and I was really wanting to do an apisto....I thought they do fine at highish temps

I have 1 from Kenny, 2 from Wattley, and 3 from Hans. I'm lucky that I'm only about 1 hour away from Baltimore-Hans.

Bmize89

Well lucky you haha I actually buy more fish at once to try and justify the shipping costs because they so much lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvashave

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….