• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GraceArtFace

Hi all,

I acquired these apistos and I'm not sure what they are. They're a bit over an inch and a half. The guy I got them from told me they are macmasteri... I don't think they are. I think there are male female at least. Any ideas? Two photos of male, one of female (darker and yellow).

Thank you!
Grace

Attachments

• PXL_20230519_231407190.jpg
    PXL_20230519_231407190.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 98
  • PXL_20230519_231252140.jpg
    PXL_20230519_231252140.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 99
  • PXL_20230519_231301978.jpg
    PXL_20230519_231301978.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 104

anewbie

They are A. velifera.
Curiosity - why is the colour of the male different than the one on tom's website - an age thing? Also how the freak does one identify all these similar fishes without like pulling them apart ?
-
On this website the male looks identifical:

of course i don't read french so who knows what they are claiming.
-
and
-
-
still pretty fish

Last edited:

MacZ

Curiosity - why is the colour of the male different than the one on tom's website - an age thing?
Age, lighting, mood of the fish.
Also how the freak does one identify all these similar fishes without like pulling them apart ?
The few people that do that with ease (Mike, Tom, Frank...) have years and decades of experience. It's just exercise.

of course i don't read french so who knows what they are claiming.
I don't speak it, but I can understand it when reading. Solid info on that site, as far as I can tell.

MacZ

Is there a market for a. velifera? I don't see a lot searching around on Google.
To be honest: Not really. The open market for Apistogramma is focused on A. cacatuoides, A. macmasteri, A. agassizii and A. borellii aswell as a half to a full dozen of other species that regularly crop up in the mainstream trade.
Everything else is distributed among dwarf cichlid buffs and biotope tank geeks.
This can vary depending on where you live but not much.

anewbie

I will disagree with MacZ on this; there is always a market for an unusual lovely fish; it is just a smaller market. So if you have a few you could probably find people to buy them (in usa) but if you have a lot month after month after month (prolific breeders); then yea the market will quickly saturate. Also water condition for the species matter a lot - the blackwater market is probably pretty small and then a less known species is probably smaller. Still this is a lovely looking fish - throw in a touch of interesting behavior and i suspect you will find a buyer here and there - if that is your question.

MacZ

I will disagree with MacZ on this; there is always a market for an unusual lovely fish; it is just a smaller market. So if you have a few you could probably find people to buy them (in usa) but if you have a lot month after month after month (prolific breeders); then yea the market will quickly saturate. Also water condition for the species matter a lot - the blackwater market is probably pretty small and then a less known species is probably smaller. Still this is a lovely looking fish - throw in a touch of interesting behavior and i suspect you will find a buyer here and there - if that is your question.
Actually you are describing my train of thought almost to a T. Boils down to: A small market if at all. People won't rip them from your hands but the ones interested will pay a good price. Wouldn't breed them too much. Rather maybe 1-2 batches per 3 months.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….