• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto ID

P

phishophile

Hi, I revently purchased 3 unidentified "apisto sp." fish from my lfs at around a dollar or so apiece. As I am unable to get pictures, I found a link from the Southern Apsito's website:
http://www.geocities.com/mikefjacobs/stenocephalus.jpg
The fish in the pictures look remarkably like my own. However, the dark lateral line is usually smooth, and only on the smallest of the three displays the lateral spot. I thought these fish looked so much like mines because of the four "lines" of green/blue spots radiating on the operculum from their green/blue eyes. As for the dorsal, there is no extended filaments or a dark first filament as you would see on say cacs, just rounded, rather thick filaments like you would find on females. This could be because they seem to be juveniles. The largest one seems to have a yellow band running along the top part of his dorsal . . . The fish are about an an inch and smaller, and do not seem to be overly agressive to one another. The largest of the two is almost black, while the smaller two are colored similarly to the picture, though perhaps without so much red on the fins. Thanks!

2la

5 Year Member
The dwarfs in the pic are bitaeniatas. You may have to wait a little while longer for them to grow up before you can make a positive ID. At that size, females and males look similar, and it's difficult to differentiate females of most species.

Neil

phishophile,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Difficult to tell without a picture of your fish, but 2la is correct and they could well be bitaeniata.
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….