• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto ID (photos)

P.W.

5 Year Member
It can only be Hippolytae, what I can see. The cheekspot and the big lateral spot on the upper half of the body indicates Hippolytae. Coloration is very similar to A. Steindachneri, but the Hippolytae is more yellowish.

Best regards.

radiodug

5 Year Member
I agree, if you look at Mergus Cichlid Atlas page 461 you can see a very similar picture of your fish. Very nice A Hippolytae. Same coloration as an adult in nuetral form.

doug

locus

5 Year Member
Well, the wholesaler has confirmed they shipped the wrong fish... they HAD some A. sp "Miua" in that tank but all of them were sold in one batch. When the put the hippolytae in the empty tank, they forgot to change the label over!

This means that I can keep the hippolytae for a very cheap price if I like, and get the remaining credit towards 5 "Miua" when the come back in stock. I'm not too sure about my gender ratios though, the only difference I can tell between any of them is that one still has the black edging on the ventral fins, making me suspect I have 4 males, 1 female (ouch!).

Now if I only had more tanks...

locus

5 Year Member
apistodave said:
Hippolytae for sure and it is a great book! :D 45.00 incl postage right here

$45? You just charged me $55! I guess I can forgive you, seeing as you have to ship it all the way to Australia. :D

I can't wait until it arrives, when is book 2 going to be complete?

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
The ten was for postage Paul--it was 9.62 I owe you .38 if we ever run into each other I'll buy you a shot of beer--By air would have been 30.00 just for postage thats the whole bar!Book two is done and book three is being worked on but I wont predict when they will come out I missed the first one by about 2 years!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….