• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto ID help?

stealthypotatoes

Hey everyone, I was recommended this forum from members from TPT.
I need help with ID this apisto.
The LFS told me it was a apisto. agassizii but I knew it wasn't on the spot. Still bought it anyways, since it was lonely being the only apisto. left in the tank.
7277A2C4-D1CA-49BD-AC16-58B27A0D3732.jpg

4F831C56-4579-4E56-83B2-F9B4D327B32B.jpg

80369987-6C7D-46D8-B89C-2C8091C22141.jpg

0EF02837-F8F9-4B28-AB47-39F7F4E762F1.jpg

422EF7A0-2674-45A0-8D94-BB9E2C4E3759.jpg

ErtyJr

Good to see you came on over here to get an id. I'm sure mike wise will help you when he sees this. His last name is no joke!

As I said on plantedtank.net, I'm leaning towards apistogramma eunotus female, but I'm certain a professional will be along shortly to help you!

stealthypotatoes

Good to see you came on over here to get an id. I'm sure mike wise will help you when he sees this. His last name is no joke!

As I said on plantedtank.net, I'm leaning towards apistogramma eunotus female, but I'm certain a professional will be along shortly to help you!
Yup, I want to wait for more suggestions before I try to find a male

ErtyJr

I've been doing a bit more research. I'm changing my opinion, I believe you have a female apistogramma baenschi.

Also I forgot to mention this earlier. When mike wise does reply he will likely want to know where this specimen was collected from. It may be wise to inquire at your lfs and see if they know the collection area.

stealthypotatoes

I've been doing a bit more research. I'm changing my opinion, I believe you have a female apistogramma baenschi.

Also I forgot to mention this earlier. When mike wise does reply he will likely want to know where this specimen was collected from. It may be wise to inquire at your lfs and see if they know the collection area.
Not sure if my LFS will know, I asked them what it was and they told me agassizi like I said before and the LFS is that local, almost an hr drive away without traffic.

MonteSS

Well most LFS get in Cacs, Aggasizi and Borelli. Most of the time the Borelli they get in are actually Blue steel or Wangenflecken and very rarely Borelli.

Happened to me twice when I didnt know any better.

Iamtechno13

I wouldn't mind finding a pair of Wangenflecken around here. Probably a few people on here who could help you but I know Mike is Apisto master.

ErtyJr

Lots of the time with your lfs they simply label the apisto or any fish under exactly what their list says it is. BUT that list also usually has the collection location on it. It's likely not worth the drive, but, it couldn't hurt to call and ask for a knowledgeable sales rep and see if they know where their most resent shipment of agassizzi was collected from. Worst that could happen is the guy says no.

gerald

5 Year Member
Agree with Monte (even if he "doesn't know what he's talking about" which is not true) it's something in the regani group, possibly steel-blue hybrid apisto. It does not look like baenschi or other species in nijsseni group. My LFS in NC often gets steel-blues (or something caetei-like) sold to them as borellii. IF the supplier's list had locations, they would typically be the exporter's location which could be hundreds of km from the collection sites. And the US wholesalers probably add new shipments of Apistos to tanks containing previous shipments, so a new batch of wild-caught might have been put in a tank with farmed steel-blues from another shipment.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm with MonteSS and gerald. It looks like some kind of resticulosa-complex species, but can't say which. The barred pattern looks somewhat like that of Wangenflecken but is oddly deformed. My guess is that it is a (poor) domestic strain of Wangenflecken or Steel-blue.

lametechno13, I have about 50, juveniles right now. Damned things are breeding like flies in a mostly barren (decor-wise) aquarium. You're just up I-25 from me, so if you want some to grow out contact me. Otherwise they go to the Colorado Aquarium Society Fall auction in a couple of months.

gerald

5 Year Member
Based on the photos your current fish could be either male or female; it's too young or out-of-condition to really make a good guess. If you go shopping for male, I would also look for another female (or 2) in case the first fish is male. Unless she's turned yellow since your last posted photo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….