• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto help

new2rams

5 Year Member
I have a 75g heavily planted tank .it has white clouds,cherry barbs,blue eyed rainbow fish ,peacock gudgeons ,otos,and ember tetras in it.it has been set-up 4 months.i run 2 canister filters on it and a hob filter.the temp is 76 degrees. This is my water parameters according to my api test kit.nitrite 0,ammonia 0,nitrate 0,ph 7.2, kh 35.8 ,gh 214,( hard to test gh and kh) and tds 318.i do have hard water. so,i introduced 6 juvenile cacatuoides triple red about an inch long each to my tank a month ago.
They were all eating and doing fine but...slowly a couple weeks ago they started to die off.now i only have 2 left.they are out swimming around and eating very well.im just wondering what might of happened? Did my water parameters slowly kill them? No other fish lose in the tank but the apistos.did they kill each other untill only 2 were left? These are the first apistogrammas ive ever kept.any help would be great.i really want to keep these last 2 alive.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There's really not enough information to go on. Still if they survive 2 - 3 weeks without problems I doubt it was natural, but probably nutritional or aggression. What do you feed and how is the tank aquascaped?

new2rams

5 Year Member
There's really not enough information to go on. Still if they survive 2 - 3 weeks without problems I doubt it was natural, but probably nutritional or aggression. What do you feed and how is the tank aquascaped?
Frozen brine,bloodworms,and daphnia.some bug bites and flake mixed in which all did eat readily.heres a picture of my tank.thanks

Attachments

• 20190120_023853.jpg
    20190120_023853.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 218

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your tank and feeding seem fine to me. My guess is that moving to a new tank stressed the fish that died. I must admit that your water is extremely hard. Do you know how different your water values are from that of the original source? When I get new fish from somewhere with very different water parameters than my own, I adjust the water in their quarantine tank to match their water of origin and then slowly over the weeks adjust the water to my own.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….