• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto disguised as Dicrossus filamentosus

UllavL

5 Year Member
Hi!
I just bought five, what I thought was, Dicrossus filamentosus . One of them are however clearly some kind of Apistogramma. Its very small still so probably hard to id but I thought I ask anyway. It sometimes has a stripe along the body (as seen in the picture), sometime its just a dot. There are also some blue markings on the head. Any thoughts on what species it may be? Thanks!
Ulla
P2060421.JPG

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Ulla !

If you have been ordering them from Germany recently, it probably is the same species that I got a few weeks ago when ordering Apistogr. "pertensis+mix" - small(size) ...
However ..I think it may be Ap. gephyra but I`m not sure..??

But.. the Ap. gephyra I had a long time ago (1990`s), had blue-greenish metallic spots on the body+dorsal- and cadualfin(males). I think they may lack those patterns, while still being juveniles..??

I`m waiting to see what will become of my 10 fishes.. they are approx. 2cm in size.
Some Apistos get more "metallic" + filamented fins when growing and getting mature..

/MickeM

UllavL

5 Year Member
Hi Micke!
And thank you so much for your help! I was thinking on Ap. pertensis myself, but not Ap. gephyra. Hope it will be more clear when it has grown a bit, like yours it's just about 2 cm in size. Hopefully I can decide the species for certain when its grown. Then I can try to find a mate :)
Good look with your juveniles, must be exciting to watch them grow up without knowing exactly what they'll become!
/ulla

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Definitely not a pertensis-group species. It shows no caudal spot; all pertensis-group species show one. It looks like it has the agassizii-group metallic blue lip patch, so more likely to be a species of the agassizii-group. MickeM & Gerald are on the right track. I can't say which species from this photo, however.

UllavL

5 Year Member
Thank you so much! I'll hope for one within the agassizii-group. Those are beautiful! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarenSet

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(