• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Conflicts

Ron

5 Year Member
I added a pair of Bitaeniata and Viejite to my 75 gallon tank that already had a pair of Cacatuoides.
The Bitaeniata are doing fine, but the male Caca. is really picking on the male Viejita. There are several plants/caves for all the fish to hide/roost and I am hoping the aggression will die down as the Cac. becomes used to sharing his tank with others.
My question is: Is there a hidden conflict between these sub-species that I am unaware of?

Neil

Ron,
No! No hidden conflict. Just your average, everyday territorial adjustments in dominance. You may want to pull the cacatuoides for a couple of days and then reintroduce him. This will give the new fish a chance to settle in and establish a little confidence. Again, this is probably just an adjustment period, but it can be a rough one for new fish, so keep an eye out.
Neil

aspen

5 Year Member
my experience with the cacatoides and viejuta pairs i had together was, that the cacatuoides seemed to want to pair with the viejitas female, as well as his, and this caused some disruption till the female viejita died. then the male viejita was a bit agressive till i pulled him. all was well with the borelli's, the rams and the cacatuoides after that.

rick

Ron

5 Year Member
The conflicts seem to have subsided.....guess it just took a few weeks for them to get used to each other.
thanks all for your help...

Neil

Ron,
That's great! I am sure someone else will find a reason to cause trouble down the line at some other point. :D . Hey, they're cichlids! They can't help it.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….