1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto collecting in Itapeaçu

Discussion in 'Apistogramma' started by Hudson Ensz, May 14, 2011.

1. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

There are no reports of A. cacatuoides occurring below Manacapuru (Rio Solimões system upstream of Manaus). In the Solimões it is found on both sides of the river (Rio Juruá and the Rio Manacapuru. It is also found in Río Algodon in Peru, a tributary of the Río Putumayo, that is called the Rio Icá in Brazil. It might occur in this system, too. The Amazon above the Rio Negro has had a very different hydrological history than the Amazon below the Negro.
  2. Hudson Ensz

Hudson Ensz Member 5 Year Member

Lol! I wish I knew! Thank you.

Of course! May I add yours to mine? Thank you for commenting, greatly apreciated and yes I agree especially a coral snak that small. Since the are rearfanged snakes I am thinking it would be very difficult.

Okay, thank you. What other apistos are around the manaus area? Any aggies? It would be nice to know what to look for.
  3. Mike Wise

How far from Manaus? Upstream on the Solimões from Manaus (Manacapuru area) you can find A. agassizii, A. hippolytae, A. sp. Gelbwangen, A. sp. Erdfresser, A. regani. Downstream along the Amazon (Rio Urubu and Rio Uatumá) you can find A. cf. agassizii (Netz), A. cf regani, A. cf. geisleri, A. cf. sp. Branco (Fire Red), A. cf. pertensis. The opposite side of the Amazon has different species, too.
  4. Hudson Ensz

Cool. I coudnt find any pics for the A. branco but it seems like there are three main groups, pertensis, regani and agassiziis. What about creeks in the jungle around here. Any paucisquamis?
    Thank you.
  5. Mike Wise

How far from Manaus do you want to go? A. paucisquamis occurs above the Annavilhanas Archipelego. A. cf. sp. Branco (Fire Red) is a population of A. sp. Branco (=A. cf. pulcher Branco) from the upper Rio Branco. You forgot that species of the bitaeniata- and steindachneri-group also occur in the area around Manaus.
  6. Hudson Ensz

Oh yes, the steindachneri group is EVERY where by far the most common apisto here. I have caught gibbiceps in the taruma water shed system. Thank you for answering my questions.
    My target species is A. sp. branco, A. agassizii, A cf. pulchra, and erdfresser. Any true pertensis? Of course I could always find a new species lol
  7. Hudson Ensz

Oh yeah I have about Iniridae in this area or where they, maybe misidentified cf. pertensis?
  8. Mike Wise

A. iniridae only occurs in the upper Río Orinoco system of Colombia. Unless you have some escapees from an exporter, it's unlikely that you have the true A. iniridae. The true A. pertensis occurs in the lower Rio Negro and possibly nearby rivers to the east.
  9. Hudson Ensz

Here are some pics of my catches.
    Apistogramma regani
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Laetecara fulvipinnis
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the apisto you may or may not have been waiting for, what is probably Apistogramma Salpinction
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think this is a female A. salpinction
    [​IMG]
  10. HaakonH

HaakonH Member 5 Year Member

It's awesome to see A.salpinction alive, what a great find, Hudson :) And the regani is really nice too!

About that Laetacara, how is it not L.curviceps...? I thought L.fulvipinnis was less blue and more brownish, occured further north and according to the description has "caudal fin without conspicuous pattern of light dots".
    Haakon
  11. briztoon

briztoon Member 5 Year Member

I must admit, I thought it was a Laetacara curviceps as well. Very purty and I wants it. Do you have a female for the boy?.
  12. Mike Wise

Yes, it is L. curviceps. I really didn't do more than a quick look at the original photos of your Laetacara. At the time I thought that these were collected north of the Amazon (they were not). I automatically thought of L. fulvipinnis since it is a species from north of the Amazon. Your latest photos of A. cf. salpinction prominently display the 'H' shaped caudal spot at the base of the caudal fin that is diagnostic of A. salpinction. If it had been collected north of the Amazon I'd not even consider it anything other than this species.
  13. Hudson Ensz

So it is officially... wait for it... Apistogramma salpinction. Cool. Good call on the Laetecara curviceps Haakon and thanks for your comment.
  14. Mike Wise

No, I would call it "A. cf. salpintion" because it comes from a very different collecting location from the type specimens. Until we have more collecting (distribution) data, I would keep it that way.
  15. Hudson Ensz

I am going to manacapuru tomorrow I hope to catch pbass and apistos.
  16. Tom C

Tom C Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Wow!
    You might find
    - the quite rare A. cf. cacatuoides (Manacapuru) (A 203).
    - A. bitaeniata (A 214) from Manacapuru is described like this in Koslowski (2002): it "....exhibit particularly broad cross-bands in the caudal fin, interrupted by extremely highly reflective light zones, .......The males have long dorsal fin lappets and caudal fin extensions. The nape and back are black and not red; at larger sizes the caudal fin pattern described above is still prominently displayed. Other features are the unusual caudal peduncle markings and the intense metallic bands above and below the lateral band that are reminiscent of those on A. paucisquamis. The back, lateral and abdominal bands, along with the metallic bands in between them, extend a little way into the caudal fin.
    - A. agassizii. Steindachner originally described the species, with Lago Manacapuru as the type locality, as Geophagus agassizii. The first specimens imported for the hobby were the white/blue color form, which are identical to the Manacapuru form.
    - A. hippolytae,
    - A. regani,
    - A. cf. pertensis,
    - probably A. sp. "Erdfresser/Earth-eater"
    - and "as usual" I'm sure you'll find something new and exciting!

Good luck, Hudson!
  17. Hudson Ensz

Thank you the eartheater and cacautuoides will be my targets. I leave in about four hours. Wish me luck!
  18. animalmgc

animalmgc Member 5 Year Member

Good luck and have fun for me I'm jealous
  19. Hudson Ensz

I am back from Manacapuru and unfortunately I didnt catch one single apisto! I am really frusterated.
  20. Big G

Big G New Member 5 Year Member

Shame bud!! Better look next time!! You'll get them in the end I'm sure?

Regards
    G!