• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apisto choices at lfs

farm41

5 Year Member
My lfs has usually not too many choices when it comes to apistos, now they have several forms. Veijita, borelli, trifascaita, hongsloi, and pandurini. So many choices now, I have been waiting for some aggies for awhile now and they aren't getting them.

Would some of these fish make good tankmates for my cacs in the 60g tank?

Ph 6.8
Kh 6
Gh 10

Neil

What a great selection for an lfs!!!
Any of those are good choices for companions for your cacatuoides. However, if you are interested in breeding, you may want to stick with the borellii, trifasciata and maybe the hongsloi. You water is fine for the husbandry of any of them. So now it's just a matter of deciding. Good luck! I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. They are all nice fish. I would want them all! 8O
Neil

farm41

5 Year Member
yea, it's about time. I've been chomping at the bit to round out my tank.

By looking at the pics in my new Cichlid Atlas 1 I think I like the Hongsloi and Trifasciata. It's going to be hard to choose.

Would it be a mistake to bring home both pairs and expect them to all get along?

aspen

5 Year Member
i think it is a mistake to try any cichlids without an alternate place for them to go. but if you don't try, how do you get the exp that they guys like neil, z-man and others have in the various kinds of fish that there are out there. try and see, after some reading. also different specimens are different, as are different mixes. always best to have a bunch of little tanks ready jic. i have quite a few that are just sitting, ready for problems or breeding i want to encourage i species tanks.

rick

farm41

5 Year Member
I got both, the trifasciata and hongsloi, they are in separate QT's right now. Guess I'll find out about compatability in 3-4 weeks.

farm41

5 Year Member
I went back to the lfs today and they told me the hongsloi was mislabeled, it's really Hoignei. I'm kind of bummed out, I really wanted the honsloi look.

Neil

farm41,
Don't be bummed! (maybe a little annoyed that they sold you incorrectly marked fish) But the hoignei are great. Much rarer, very possibly as nice looking and vitually the same morphological characteristics. These two are very similar fish. And it is likely that with lfs fish, that the hongsloi would not be a very nice form. I looked a long time and went through a lot of inferior forms of hongsloi before I finally found the ones that I am working with now. However, the few times that i have seen hoignei, they were pretty nice as adults! Keep um! You won't be sorry. Or I will trade you a pair of hongsloi for them.
Neil

farm41

5 Year Member
Oh, I'm going to keep them. I actually got to see some pics of what these fish could look like. My lfs got these from David Soares, and I met an associate of his saturday that showed me what the brood stock looks like. Nice fish, I don't think I will be disappointed. I got to see some nice A. diplotaenia with fry when I was there too.

farm41

5 Year Member
The hoignei are starting to show some color, the male now has a red or orange tint to his caudal fin. He's looking pretty good.

I put some black sand in the tank and they both have got a lot darker.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….