• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto at Auction

fredmir1

5 Year Member
Hi

I was at a fish auction yestreday and saw 2 species of Apisto. Can`t find any pic`s or info on them

Apisto Masken and Apisto Melgar

Thanks

George

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi there,

Apisto sp Masken/Masked > Apisto sp 'Apache' (A-52)

Apist sp 'Melgar' > Apisto sp 'Nanay' (A-82) (belongs to the A eunotus complex and has yellow pectoral fins).

Andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sadly, Römer continues to use the name Nanay for another fish (A. sp. Papagei/Parrot) that does come from anywhere near the Rio Nanay! A. sp. Nanay/Melgar is a different fish entirely.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sadly, Römer continues to use the name Nanay for another fish (A. sp. Papagei/Parrot) that does come from anywhere near the Rio Nanay! A. sp. Nanay/Melgar is a different fish entirely.

Oops! I meant to say: "Sadly, Römer continues to use the name Nanay for another fish (A. sp. Papagei/Parrot) that does NOT come from anywhere near the Rio Nanay! A. sp. Nanay/Melgar is a different fish entirely." I was too quick on the send button!

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
A. sp. Nanay/Melgar is a different fish entirely.

Hi Mike,

Tadge confused by your response, I was running from the description in the Datz book for A-82 (have to admit I do like this A number system!!) which lists 'Melgar' as the commercial name for 'Nanay' (as the initial question was regarding 'Melgar'). Is their a glitch in the book or am I just being thick???

Andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No, you're right. A. sp. Nanay/Melgar A-82 (from the Rio Nanay) is the fish that most authors call A. sp. Nanay. Römer, however, continues to call A. sp. Papagei/Parrot A-91 (from the Rio Ampiyacu) "A. sp. Nanay". As Stawikoski et al. (DATZ Pub) wrote, "the usage of this vexing name (for A. sp. Papagei) should be stopped", to which I wholeheartedly agree.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Actually this is one case where the use of the A-numbers is helpful. At least you will know which of the 2 different species published with the same name one is talking about. I personally favor common names, but there are times when A-numbers will be useful. My only question is who assigns the A-numbers - only DATZ or just anyone?

Greg PL

5 Year Member
the convenient thing about those A numbers is that they are organized around and within complexes. however it can get messy if new apistos are discovered. there can be no free A number around the closest relative of the new species - then it will go to the end of the queue or get Axx-a,b etc. this could be confusing.
There could be some "reserved" numbers for future, perhaps in the system of A-1xx,
A-2xx,
A-3xx for relevant complexes.
as for assigning the name - the same logic/way of thinking should be used, so it would be best if DATZ did it. but can they do it all?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Greg raises a couple of good points. Any new species will be out of que/sequence with related species. In this regard I think that Aqualog's "SO"-numbers are better since it leaves numbers open for new species. On the other hand, the Aqualog numbers are so long that they are a problem to use in correspondence. The other point is: if DATZ can only assign numbers, what happens to fish pubished in other magazines & books not published by Ulmer Verlag (DATZ's publisher)? Does anyone know who the C- & L-numbers are assigned?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvashave

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….